Author Topic: AC Subframes - Crap fittings  (Read 3168 times)

Offline jcm3

AC Subframes - Crap fittings
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:02:33 AM »
Mine keep coming out.  I've gotten sick of it and started just JB Welding them in when they come out.

I had a brand new set of plastics with new number plate backgrounds on it a few months ago and had TWO come out on the same side panel, causing it to hang down and it got melted pretty good.  Luckily you can't really tell unless you are looking at it, but I was pissed and see it. 

I started zip tying the number plates on top in two places just in case one of the fittings came out so that they didn't hang down and melt on the pipe.

Is that typical with these subframes?
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: AC Subframes - Crap fittings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:06:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's an old thread from several years ago on here about them...and it was negative comments, like fitment issues.

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Mike Grant

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:15 AM »
If it fit's anything like there products do for ATV's I would just go back to OEM. I bought every product they had available for my 05 TRX450R from nerf bars to bumpers and their exhaust. It all fit like s**t and had to be bent or modified to even bolt on. And good luck with their customer service. They bought their name thru big buck advertising in the ATV magazines and sponsoring builds that they were doing.

Offline byron909

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:26:19 AM »
Ac racing used to be mainly an atv place. When i was younger, i had 250rs and stuff. In the magazines all the pros seem to have ac racing parts. So of course i wanted them.
I think i first bought something from them in 94 maybe, for a 250r fourtrax. I remember having trouble i stalling the grab bar.
Fast forward to 2008. I aquired a low hour 450 quadracer. When i put it together the way i wanted it, guess the kid in me came out because all the bs i bought for the chassis was ac racing. Even got their trick footpeg/ floorboard/ heel guard setup.
Lets just say its a good thing im a fabricator and have a tig machine, because not one part came clost to fitting right. Not front bumper, rear, those footpeg deals, skidplate, nothing.
I still have that atv for some reason, i get mad everytime im look at those floorboards.
Also had a few nos subframes for hondas from them. My 95 cr500 needed a subframe when i got it. The ac model needed help to fit, then when i bolted seat on the insert on one side just fell off. The weld for the mount was just like putty on outside. Again, good thing I can weld.
I have ridden 500 hondas for a long time, and own a few of them, so kinda have idea how they feel, etc. i noticed this bike just vibrated. Everyone says that anyway about these, but this was abnormal.
Just for s**ts one day i dug up a stock steel subframe and mounted it. Now the vibrations were almost none. Well normal for the bike anyway.
Also had a subframe from them for my 95 cr250, it looked trick so i was going to install it ( this was before the 500 deal)
Wasnt even close to fitting. I concluded it wasnt worth my time/ trouble to make it work, so i chopped it up and used it for various other things.
1984 cr500 1985 kx125 1999ktm300mxc
1986 cr500 1986 kx500 2013.5 ktm450 fe
1987 cr500 1994 kx500
1991 cr500 2000 kx125
1995 cr250 2008 kx500
1995 cr500
2003 cr250
2003 cr500
2008 cr500