Author Topic: quick jetting questions  (Read 2596 times)

Jes_KX5

quick jetting questions
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:23:38 AM »
My K5 is stock except for a Pro Circuit pipe. I am trying to get the jetting right. I completely cleaned and took apart the carb. The bike is definitely running rich.

Here is the current setup:
Needle: n82r on 2nd clip from top
Slow: 60
Main: 168

I ride at about 1000'
Temps will range from about 50 to 100

Should I buy?
needle: n82p
slow: 58 and 55
main: 165 and 162

What should I start off with in the carb?

Thanks for any help.

Offline 01KX5WOODSRIDER

quick jetting questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »
Where does it run rich? If its rich from idle through 1/3 throttle
try 50-52 pilot jet and maybe move clip to top. I ride woods only
at 400' and use a n82t needle which is leaner than n82r needle.
The n82r needle is leaner than n82p. I hope this helps.
Ricks rides
KX-500
KX-250
DR-350
RZ-350

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
quick jetting questions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
I worked on my jetting for a year and some time and it is best to start with the pilot jet, find the best idle within' the air jet, if you have to turn past 2 turns to get the smoothest highest idle, then you need to go down a turn on the pilot, if you get best idle results within' 1 turn of the air screw, you need to install a richer air screw. Next is your needle, lift/drop a notch at a time. They make BIG diffrences in changes. Then the main jet which you can only do by plug chops in my oppinion, cause the big KX is always going to run powerful in the WFO range.

Offline KXcam22

quick jetting questions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 02:26:23 AM »
Jes,
   The big KX responds most excellently to jetting.  It will feel like a different bike.  As a suggestion, I would start exactly where the jetting chart says you should be and ride it that way for a little while to get a feel for it before tweeking further.  The chart is very-very close, so it makes a great starting point.  I did all my jetting from scratch and ended up exactly where the chart says I should be.  I doubt if the pipe will make too much difference.  Also, you might want to set your float level while you have the carb apart.  There is a how to buried in the jetting section of the forum.  If you have any more jetting questions we will be happy to help you out. Cam.

mikesmith

quick jetting questions
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:12:36 PM »
Sorry,I cant give you the jetting for your bike,but my 2 cents would be to start off with low, midrange,then topend.Take notes and do one change at a time,ride and see what results you get.Dont try to jet the whole thing at once,take your time and you can learn from each change you do.Ask if you get stuck,theres lots of help here.