Author Topic: Do they make oversized rotor front disc protectors/guards?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline jcm3

Do they make oversized rotor front disc protectors/guards?
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »
I've been doing a bunch of searches, and have not been able to find one.  I bought a nice EBC oversized rotor kit for my KX500, and unfortunately took a rock on a recent desert riding trip and damaged the rotor and the adapter.  I did it while riding around at about 10 mph with my 8 year old daughter in front of me.  d**nit.  I didn't crash or anything, but damaged the rotor and have the stock stuff back on.

I'd like to get a protector for desert riding.  If they are not available, then I may decide to just swap the stock stuff back on for desert trips, which is a bit more of a pain in the butt.

The oversized rotor was awesome though, so I'd love to get another.

Just looking for something simple like this for my trail riding or desert trips, not mx.  I'd take it off for mx for the extra cooling.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:53:46 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline don46

Re: Do they make oversized rotor front disc protectors/guards?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
most of the oversized rotors are 10mm bigger than stock ( other than the super motard stuff), so that means 5mm per side, will a regular disc guard work since they are not much bigger. the other option is to build something out of Aluminumsimilar to what devol offers.

http://www.devolracing.com/Front-Disc-Guard_p_167.html

it looks quite a bit bigger than the stock rotor
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
I have done a fair amount of plug and mold making. That does not look simple to me...  :-D
Fiberglass might be the easiest way to make one using foam as a backing to get the shape you want then glass it up. Then either melt the foam out with gas or scrape it out/wire brush the foam out when the glass is hard.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline jcm3

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:18 AM »
I have done a fair amount of plug and mold making. That does not look simple to me...  :-D
Fiberglass might be the easiest way to make one using foam as a backing to get the shape you want then glass it up. Then either melt the foam out with gas or scrape it out/wire brush the foam out when the glass is hard.

I was hoping to just buy one.   :-D