Author Topic: need fork rebuild help  (Read 2252 times)

Offline deadmeat113

need fork rebuild help
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
hello im rebuilding my 91 forks (the blue ones) i did my first fork rebuild about 3 months ago and now they are leaking already. idk if i did something wrong or just used cheep seals i think they were k.s. but this time i am going to use better seals any recomendaions on a good brand for seals? i dont have the oil tool so last time i just used a measureing cup and put 510ml i read that was stock. idk if maybe that was too much and thats why my seals didit last. i ride in the wood mostly and last time they were really harsh on the small stuff but really great on the bigger stuff. would a lighter oil help this?

Offline alward25

Re: need fork rebuild help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:55 AM »
Numbers on the seal are always on the outside.  Race tech are good seals, people jump up and down about oem, I run Race Tech, Pro Action, or Pro-X, depends on where I am ordering from.  All Balls is not too bad, but they can be hit or miss.  SKF are the most expensive, I believe half of the price is the name.  Worn out bushings can also cause premature leakage.  Spend the money and get a couple of tools and make your life easier.
"Let there be light"

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
You should check the dust seals as well , no good replacing the oil seals if the dust seals are buggered, for that model I would get a gold valve for the forks , than you change the valving to suit your needs , you get the instruction and the specs .You can buy the tools of race tech , it will save you money in the long run , I use skf seals as well as race tech stuff , than oem next, keep a eye on the bushes like alward 25 said plus make sure you clean the internals good as these forks build sludge down near the valving area , which will make them work worse, remember that one brand of 5 wt oil is different to another brand of 5 wt , we use motul 5 wt in these forks with good results , I don't think you will feel much difference using a lighter oil, your better of getting the better piston and valving , than you will feel a difference.

Offline algava

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
I would make sure that everything inside has been washed properly with diesel.
If you have a few grain of sand inside, they could compromise your oil seal.
The new seals you've installed are probably good, they could have sucked in dust or got it from the inside, try cleaning them with the sealmate tool, it's inexpensive and you may not have to redo. Also, make sure your dust seals are in good shape.