Author Topic: plz help asap!!!!! help me identify 86-87 or 88-90 kx80 motor???????????????????  (Read 10317 times)

Offline ironmike

Just picked up what I thought was a kx85. From the frame Vin it is a 02 kx85. In process of freshing up motor come to find out the motor is out of a kx80(motor Vin says kx80 rather than kx85. Also the piston measures approx 48mm instead of 48.5) I narrowed it down to its either 86-87 or 88-90 do to the head design. That'sas far as iI can get without some help. So what I need to know is how can I tell 86-87 motor from a 88-90? The heads appear to be the same. I've googled for hours with no luck. Plz help!!!!! Thx

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
If you can't find the answer, go to ebay and find all the kx80 engine cases and ask when the ID numbers are.
Save what you find and post here for future reference.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ironmike

Already done that lol. That's how iI narrowed it down to these years. Hopefully somebody can help?

Offline bens87braap

• Be good or be good at it!!!
    • Bens You Tube
can u match up from the cdi unit 89 was dif  but not sure they may look the same anyway just a thought
86 87 88         21119-1173
89                 21119-1260

Offline ironmike

Hmmm? Not sure. All I know is they list diff pistons on dennis kirk for 86-87 vs 88-90 . So I don't know what piston to get?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:22:23 PM by ironmike »

Offline ironmike

I did notice my water pump cover says kx080g on it. When I type in 86-87 into Dennis kirk it brings up kx80g for model. Is this just sayimg its 86-87? It would ne weird that it would be on water pump cover over everything else. If any body has a 88-90 kx80 see what it says on waterpump cover? Anybody with 86-87 also check plz!!!         Up  Date a lot of years have that same stamping on them? Dang!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:16:46 PM by ironmike »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
87 KX80 Clutch basket has 8 slots
88 and newer has 10 slots
How many does yours have?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ironmike

You me clutch plates or basket fingers?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
You can count the fingers or the slots...

Offline ironmike

Just took case off. It has 8 fingers so its a 86-87 correct? 83-85 heads are different from 86-87-88-90 and mine has that style. So I would say its 86-87 you guys agree? By the way great info on the basket thx a lot!!!!!!!

Offline ironmike

Another question you guys might be able to help with? The roller is a 2002. Can I run a 2002 exhaust? The exhaust that was on it was coat hangered on so I'm assuming it was also from the 87.Bolt holes ddidn't line up. Is the cylinder on the 87 motor same angle as 02 so I can run newer style exhaust? There a lot easier to find

Offline ironmike

Anybody?

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Man! Mix and match! Best of luck with your project!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
Another question you guys might be able to help with? The roller is a 2002. Can I run a 2002 exhaust? The exhaust that was on it was coat hangered on so I'm assuming it was also from the 87.Bolt holes ddidn't line up. Is the cylinder on the 87 motor same angle as 02 so I can run newer style exhaust? There a lot easier to find

Go compare the cylinder exhaust outlets for both years of cylinders as well as the exhaust pipe inlets for both years.

Offline ironmike

Lol yeah i would compare  if i had a cylinder/ exhaust from the other year. Thats why i asked the question. Yeah pre owner rigged everything instead of using nuts/bolts. Bike does run decent even tho its pretty rigged up. Thats why im going though it. It will be nice once im done with it for min money. Only paid $300 for it. So if any body can help with the exhaust question id appreciate it !!!!!