Author Topic: KX100 Only starts with gas directly in the spark plug hole.  (Read 4279 times)

Offline mullbags

KX100 Only starts with gas directly in the spark plug hole.
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:45:46 AM »
So I've tried to search this particular issue and I still am not sure what to do. Purchased a used 02 kx100 and it started up first kick on the test ride, was told that it had been sitting for an hour before I kicked it over. Got it home and the next day it fired up, rode it less than a 100 yards it bogged down and died. Cleaned and jetted the carb, cleaned and oiled the air filter, and put in a fresh correctly gapped spark plug. Tried it before work no go, tried it after work and it fired up on the first kick, ran it around the block all good. Three days later would not start again so I put a small amount of fuel directly into the cylinder head and started up second kick, the bike ran great and the jetting is perfect. If it is stalls it will kick over first kick but if it sits for an hour I need to add fuel to the cylinder head again. I have tested the spark and it seems fine and I have not messed with the timing. Any ideas?   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: KX100 Only starts with gas directly in the spark plug hole.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »
you say it's jetted perfect...but is the float height set correctly??
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline mullbags

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »
Hmm I thought the float height effected how it runs, which it runs great. So the float height could stop it from starting but still run like a champ then?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
if the height is too low, then there's not enough fuel in the bowl for the motor to "draw in", whilst kicking it over....it can also cause it to run lean, so it's something you definitely want to look into.

I'm not saying this is gonna be the problem, but it's worth a look and costs nothing to check it.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline mullbags

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:21 AM »
Ahh makes sense, I'll give that a shot

Offline GRARA

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
Have you tried a new plug??
My KX250 was doing exactly the same,i changed the plug and that solved the problem