Author Topic: 18- inch rear wheel & brakes  (Read 4728 times)

Zombie

18- inch rear wheel & brakes
« on: March 24, 2003, 10:46:49 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a 18-incher for a 94? Dennis Kirk has wheel kits, but they are pretty expen$ive. Will an older wheel fit?

Is anyone using a Braking oversize rotor setup? How much better than stock is it?

-Z

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 08:42:37 PM »
I dont have an over size rotor,but I hear they work a lot better,and try a braided brake line.Has any one routed there front brake line Honda style (around the fork tube and over the top of the caliper)let me know how you did it if so,thanks.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 12:18:39 AM »
I don't have the over-sized rotor but i do have the braided CR style brake line. Mine was made by Kenz Cycletech in Mesa, AZ but Russell Performance - Yes, the automotive performance company - makes them front and rear for the KX500 and they make the speed bleeders.
Quote from: mikesmith
I dont have an over size rotor,but I hear they work a lot better,and try a braided brake line.Has any one routed there front brake line Honda style (around the fork tube and over the top of the caliper)let me know how you did it if so,thanks.

Yeppers, the brakeline change alone gives GREAT braking performance and feedback.

Hogwylde

Re: 18- inch rear wheel & brakes
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 10:46:19 AM »
Quote from: Zombie
Does anyone know where I can get a 18-incher for a 94? Dennis Kirk has wheel kits, but they are pretty expen$ive. Will an older wheel fit?

I don't know for sure if it will fit, but I'd bet money that an 18 inch wheel from a KDX would fit with no modifications.  Or, you can pick up a spare KX wheel and lace an 18 inch rim to it.

mikesmith

Front brake line
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 07:25:17 PM »
KX 500,did you use the stock fork guards and just remove the top fork guard guide to clamp the brake line in place? Im going to try a CR 250 braided brake line,and move the stock clamp to the fork guard,but not run the guide,to route my brake line CR style.

KX4Life

I got what you need
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 10:42:05 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a 18-incher for a 94?

I just got a new set of the black excels for my 90 and decided to go back to the 19 incher. It had the 18 on it when I bought it. The rim itself is in excellent shape and I also have a reasonably new Bridgestone and tube that I will let go with it. E-mail me at tribal360@hotmail.com if you are interested.
Peace Ken

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Front brake line
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 12:27:44 PM »
I cut a slot in the outer portion so that the brake line anchor wouldn't interfere and the shock guard would still have the support.
Quote from: mikesmith
KX 500,did you use the stock fork guards and just remove the top fork guard guide to clamp the brake line in place? Im going to try a CR 250 braided brake line,and move the stock clamp to the fork guard,but not run the guide,to route my brake line CR style.

mikesmith

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 07:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the info KX500.

KX142

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003, 02:28:21 PM »
I got a fastline front brake line and it works much better thant the stocker