Author Topic: air filter ?'s  (Read 14304 times)

Offline Marky360

Re: air filter ?'s
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »
I use funnel web filters on my kx 450 for desert racing has a rubber ring on the back seals nice not cheap so I clean them

Offline jcm3

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
Also look for how well the boot is sealed to the air box.
I had a bad one and it drove me insane until I figured out what the problem was...

Will do, thank you. :-)

What's the best way to seal it?  I figured it probably has a gasket of some kind between the duct and the plate or the duct and the air box holder, but I didn't see anything in any of the parts diagrams.  Should I just take the assembly apart, clean it, and put it back together?  I just went out and looked at it, and there isn't any obvious gaps or indication that any dirt is getting past there, but it may be hard to tell until I take it apart.

I know that silicon is not good with gas, do you recommend anything between the plate and the rubber duct, or just clean it and put it back together?

Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:39:24 PM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
I sealed up mine with

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
I sealed up mine with

Perfect, I have a bunch of that lying around.

Thank you, sir!
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline reklessj

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
I did mine with permatex blue! No sign of leaks just did it to be safe!!
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Motorrad

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
I just rub duck butter all over mine.  Cheap and effective  :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Speaking of Ducks..

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
I just rub duck butter all over mine.  Cheap and effective  :lol:

How do you squeese these in between the plate and the air box without making a mess?   :-D

Offline jcm3

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »
Just finished this up yesterday. Pulled the airbox apart, put a nice bead of rtv around the junction of the round plastic air filter holder and the rubber boot, and put in the Pro Seal air filter gasket.  Hopefully that will help keep things more clean.

I am wondering also if I'm using enough air filter oil.  I suspect that I am, as I've been riding off and on since the 80's and never had an issue with dirt past the air filter of my recent two bikes, a YZ426 and a YZ450.  I'm hoping I had a leak that the rtv sealed up.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »
Wow, what a difference.  Some time back I bought an air box cover for cleaning (pic below, keeps the air filter from getting all wet).  One day, after washing, I checked my air box boot and there was a lot of water in there, enough that I was a little bit worried that some might have gotten in the carb.  I dried it out and everything was fine.  

After sealing my air box up with rtv and installing the Pro Seal gasket, I put the cover on and turned the airbox/subframe upside down (carb boot facing up) and filled it up with water.  I only had a drop every second or so coming from the bolt hole of the No Toil cover, nothing else.  So, I definitely had a big leak, which explains why I had a lot of dust and dirt past the filter.

Good maintenance move.  Thanks for everyone's tips, advice and part numbers.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 03:27:07 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out.
Another often overlooked maintenance area is greasing all your chassis bearings, axles, and swing arm pivot pin.
Got a bike in yesterday because the owner couldn't get the axles out and his swing arm was clunking and squeaking.
We see that a lot...

Offline jcm3

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:40 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out.
Another often overlooked maintenance area is greasing all your chassis bearings, axles, and swing arm pivot pin.
Got a bike in yesterday because the owner couldn't get the axles out and his swing arm was clunking and squeaking.
We see that a lot...

Agreed.  I borrowed a nice Motion Pro bearing tool from a buddy at work and redoing all of my bearings was a breeze.  It's not a cheap kit, but I'll probably buy one the next time I do it.  I just replaced all of my bearings other than the steering stem bearing (did regrease that one) in the last month or two.

How often do you like to grease or replace your bearings?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:12:02 PM by jcm3 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Depends on where and how you ride.
I probably average about once a year but I don't ride like some of the guys here do.
It's almost impossible to do it too often.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
How often do you like to regrease replace your bearings?

I'll do the linkage mandatory over the winter months...(I actually have the new bearings for my 250 sitting on my bench now)...and I'll change the upper/lower shock bearings 2-3 times a year.

one of the key things to avoid, is heavy use of soap and degreasers when washing your bike...that stuff DOES find it's way into the bearings and wipes em out quickly....and of course keeping the pressure washer away from the linkage.
just following these simple things can add substantial life to your bearings.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
Thanks for your input, gentlemen.