Author Topic: Cleaning the drive train  (Read 5407 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cleaning the drive train
« on: March 09, 2005, 03:29:16 PM »
What is everybody using to clean your chain and sprockets with after each ride :?: I have been using engine degreaser and a srub brush.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline machine

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:34:38 PM »
Jack Daniel's!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol:

I just blast it with the presure washer, then oil it....
I don't think it's the best thing to do, but it works for me!!!
 :wink:

mikesmith

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:42:35 PM »
Most of the time a soft bristle brush so it wont tear the o-rings and some purple power and liquid dish soap mixed.I have hit the sides with a preassure washer once in a great while,but dont aim it a the o-rings,ypull wash out the grease.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 01:21:45 AM »
I run std. 520 chains.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

TomL

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 02:14:20 AM »
I use soapy water and a scrub brush.  I just jack the rear wheel up and spin the rear wheel by hand holding the brush on the chain.  Go around a few times on the inside and outside.  Hose it off.  Dry it off with a rag.  Let it air dry a couple hours, and brush on some 90W gear lube.  Let it sit overnight to drip off any excess oil.  If your in a hurry to ride right away, just lightly wipe over the chain with a rag to take off the excess.  I don't like sticky spray lubes; they always seem to collect dirt and they're a real P.I.T.A. to get clean.  Spray lubes are all a gimick IMO; heavy gear lube works great.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:03:32 AM »
Toml,

I agree with you about the spray lubes but I guess I am brain washed because I still use them. I will try the 90w gear oil it must clean up alot better. Is anybody using gold plated chains :?: If so do they keep their color or does the plating wear off :?:
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:55:06 AM »
I run O- Ring chains, so I blow the chain off  with an air hose and WD - 40 it  to displace any moisture!  I guess my bike is lucky to almost never see any mud or water!

Alan the desert Rat!  :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline KXcam22

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 09:24:47 AM »
I spend  my time 50/50 between mud and sand.  I run the best o-ring I can buy (Tsubaki) and then simply wire brush off the crud. When brushing, the chainlube I use (the white belray stuff)  balls up and falls off taking most of the dirt with it.  Re-lube and you're ready to go.  Since I started avoiding the HP car wash, my chain/sprockets last forever; 5 years on the present set. I occasionally give it a shot of WD40 if the orings look dry. Cam.

Offline Timbowe

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 07:19:16 PM »
On previous lower powered machines I've owned, 2 chains brought at the same time[non Oring] have been the my answer to preserved sprocket life. When chain number 1 was due for adjustment, itwould get pulled off and dumped into a container of WD40 and left untill number 2 chain was due for adjustment. Always run alloy sprockets. Seemed to get years of service out of them usiing a couple of chains. Plus when you pull them out of the WD and give them a bit of a wipe over, the good old gold Regina looked great. Worked for me. Dunno about the dirty 5 tho. Spose a good quality 520 may handle it? Noticable power sucking from Oring to non oring. On the Ducati there was quite a difference in power between the two. Always raced with standard 520. Lubed with Motul. But all good till they are washed off in the first river crossing! Any body seen Scottoiler? My old Norton had its own chainluber in the form of a rubber hose with an adjustable tap which would clamp on and regulate a flow of oil to the chain. Never changed a chain on that old thing. Sprocket was cast as part of the rear hub. The Poms aye? Ahh just joking!  :lol:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

TomL

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:08:37 AM »
Anyone ever try bar and chain oil on their chains???  I was reading a bottle in the store; and it says it has a sticky additive to reduce fling-off.  It's made for chains and it's cheap as dirt!!!  Sounds good to me!!!  What do you guys think???

mikesmith

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 09:49:13 PM »
On a non o-ring chain that may work o.k. Give it a try and let us know what you think,Id lube it while the chain was warm from use.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 06:06:30 AM »
Anyone ever used that stuff from MX1000.com?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »
Quote from: gwcrim
Anyone ever used that stuff from MX1000.com?

I believe it is for non-oring chains only, or mainly. I know that from Jaybird always knocking on O/X ring chains. I'll be honest and say I'm a major slacker when it comes to chains. I'm horrible and NEVER clean my chain and bearly lube it. Which it is a Did Xring. It has lasted roughly 8 months so far, doesn't even look like it has worn any at all.

TomL

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 01:25:57 AM »
Wow, I really like the bar and chain oil!!!  I used some of my Grandfather's craftsmen (30w I think) red stuff yesterday.  You can tell it's a bit tacky cuz it's kind of stringy when you brush it on.  After mud riding  for 4 hours yesterday, my chain didn't even look very dirty.  I just hosed it off and it came perfectly clean.  Even cleaner than when I lubed it!!!  It totally penetrated and displaced the old dirt that was still there from the previous ride!!!

Kawadougie

Cleaning the drive train
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 02:58:51 AM »
I've been using an RK Gold o-ring chain (not cheap) and Renthal sprockets for two years now.  I wash my chain along with the bike and spray it with WD-40 when I get done.  I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it and it still looks great.