Author Topic: Sag and suspension questions.  (Read 2160 times)

reknelb

Sag and suspension questions.
« on: February 19, 2005, 01:42:26 AM »
I just recently bought a 90 kx500. Just had the shock rebuilt. When I pulled it from the bike i noticed it had an eibach spring but the numbers were not legible. They were half worn off. I havent had a chance to ride it yet,(20 degrees and snow), but it seems like it sits a little low in the rear. I have about 2" of free sag. What would cause it to have too much free sag? Too soft a spring rate? The pre-load is almost all the way down, does that make it have too much free sag?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 02:49:49 AM »
Their is some good info here about setting sag. Do a seach. I think your static sag(bike weight only) should be around 1" to 1".5 max. Rider sag should be 4" max. I think this will work but check out all the post about setting sag. So try to add some more preload and set it to 1" stactic sag and then mount the bike in ride poistion and see what your rider sag is. If you are still sagging below the 4" mark you may need a heavier spring. Just my two cents.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

teamgreen500

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:38:34 AM »
Go look in "Riding Tips" and p.m. Rick if you have a Q that's not addressed. Rick knows his stuff.