Author Topic: 99 k5 from craigslist good deal?  (Read 6164 times)

Offline poefish

99 k5 from craigslist good deal?
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
i just picked up a 99 k5 off of cl.i think i got a steal at $1600 :-D. the only problem i can find is a leaky fork seal. it has PA engraved in the cylinder i assume pro action did some work to it. you guys think it was a good deal? it also has a burly pipe on it i never heard of that model before. anybody know if its a low,mid or top end pipe? thx guys http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4505293100.html

Offline zz3gmc

Re: 99 k5 from craigslist good deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Burly is actually the predecessor of the Gnarly pipe.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
Great deal!
Leaky fork seals?
Cake..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
I love ads.  
"NO Issues"
Besides
No fork seals
No tires
Can't prove I actually own the thing I'm selling you (no title)

The pipes full of dents
The chain is rusty
The air box is missing screw's
Left lower rad shroud bolt missing

And I dare them to let me look at it in person

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:38:06 PM by Motorrad »

Offline heavyweight44

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »
Motorrad nails it, wish he was there when I bought mine!!! Judging by the chain, maintenance was not performed, probably will need a new top end for sure. If you can live with that pipe, you will need to put 300-400 into it, so your looking at $2,000.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:46:19 PM by heavyweight44 »

Offline poefish

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
I love ads.  
"NO Issues"
Besides
No fork seals
No tires
Can't prove I actually own the thing I'm selling you (no title)

The pipes full of dents
The chain is rusty
The air box is missing screw's
Left lower rad shroud bolt missing

And I dare them to let me look at it in person

lol. Tires arent that bad.he put shroud bolt in. Forks are a semi easy fix. And i got ahold of the dude who has the title and gonna hook up next week to get that transfered. The pipe has definitey seen its better days though. But other than that it sounds great and rides as smooth as any other k5 ive ever had so all and all im happy. Its a nice starting ppoint to make the bike how i want it. I'll know after this weekend better if i got a good bike or a project bike. Where i ride is mostly wide open utv trails so i should ne able to ring it out properly and see what i got. Any areas of the bike i should look closely at?

Offline jcm3

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:22 AM »
Overall, it looks like a good deal.  I know it has a few things wrong, but they appear to be pretty minor.  I can't find anything in my area that is around that price unless it's a total beater.

You never know what you are going to get.  I'd definitely recommend a top end.  I just bought one that was super clean, I mean REALLY clean.  It had a bunch of upgrades, looked like it had a brand new FMF Desert pipe and FMF silencer that had never even been used, good components, a Boyesen RAD valve, ran great, first kick starter, etc. etc. etc.  It had some new plastics also, including the newer style rear fender mod.  I overpaid at $3k, but was sick of looking at beaters for $1800-$2k that I'd need to put more money into anyway.

I had planned on doing the top end, but didn't really have time before a riding trip that I planned.  The compression was 130, right in the middle of the range.  Definitely not at the high end, but not at the low end either.  It started first kick every time except when it was cold, and ran great.  I figured, what's one more ride on a 15 year old bike? 

Well, the piston skirt came apart and toasted the top end, galled up the cylinder a bit, and put a bunch of shrapnel in the bottom end.  It was probably a stock piston, old and crusty.  It will cost me $1500 or so to get all of that repaired, so now I'm much more into this bike than I would have wanted to be.   :x 

Moral of the story is that you never know what you are going to get.  I'd replace the top end just to ensure that it doesn't cost you more money later.

But, it looks pretty good for the price.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
the only thing I care to see when I go to look at a used bike I want...is hear it run, and be sure it goes in and out of every gear like it should....why only these two things?...because it's gonna get completely torn down and thoroughly gone through anyways, and any part that looks even remotely questionable will be replaced with OEM items...I just want to be sure the seller is being honest about it running and at least somewhat  ride-able.
Other than that, I could care less what condition a bike is in that I'm gonna buy.

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Sideplater

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
Sounds like a good deal to me, what's the airbox/filter looking like ?
Regular gear oil changes etc ?

Have fun on your new ride  8-)

Offline poefish

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
Rode the bike all weekend and the only issue i had was the leaky fork seals. The exon valdez held oil better than these forks. I have never replaced fork seals before. Are there any specialty tools required? But other than that it ran super strong, much snappier than other kx500's ive ridden. I was pleasantly surprised and down right scared myself a couple times with the power. Overall very pleased with the new bike :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Easy once you do some.
Here's a pictorial.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=608

There are some tools that will help but you can do it without them if your careful.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline poefish

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Easy once you do some.
Here's a pictorial.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=608

There are some tools that will help but you can do it without them if your careful.

Thats a great pictorial on replacing them thx. I also picked up the clymer repair manual so hopefully between the 2 i should be able to get the forks done. Unfortunately back out to work for a couple weeks till i can get home and get started