Author Topic: Axle grease....  (Read 2448 times)

Offline GDubb

Axle grease....
« on: February 11, 2005, 12:52:54 PM »
what type of grease do I use on the rear axle and related parts?  I had to mount a paddle for this weekend and found alot of grit in the existing grease so I really dont want to put it back together that way.  And since we're on the topic of grease... which kind is it to seal the air filter lip? Thanks for being here guys...  I'd be lost without this website!
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Rowdy-Yates

Axle grease....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
My clymer just says to use a good quality bearing grease on the wheel bearings and the airfilter lip. I use a marine grade just because I have a boat too and have a lot of it. I know that there are different greases out there and everyone will have there own opinion.

Offline GDubb

Axle grease....
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »
Sounds good to me... I'll trust clymer. Thanks man, I appreciate the info!  I've been busting my arse on this bike all week. Since it will be my first ride on it since purchase, Ive been trying to make sure that I go through everything I can to make sure the bike is good and solid and this is all I have left.  Ive been through everything except the motor itself, so Sunday will be the day to see how good a deal I really got.  Hopefully she holds together!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

mikesmith

Axle grease....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »
I use a moly grease on all bearings,water proof grease on the air filter lip and as for the axle (linkage bolts ect.) I highly recomend never sieze!

Offline GDubb

Axle grease....
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 09:50:43 AM »
I take it that a "marine grade" would be the water proof grease then, right?

Offline KXcam22

Axle grease....
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 05:44:52 PM »
Amsoil synthetic, Belray Waterproof and Penzoil white lithium are my 3 greases of choice.  Does everything from bikes to 4X4 to my speedboat.  I've been using the Amsoil for over 20 years.  It is a fantastic lubricant for any kind of bearing and is quite waterproof. It's the best I have come across.  I just started using the Belray a few years ago for my boat and bikes.  I sticks to my boat prop like glue so I have to say it is VERY waterproof. Hard to wash off the hands though.  50/50 Belray and anti-sieze is a great (long lasting) mix for linkage bearings.  I use the white grease on my air filter lip and axles. If I left my axles in for more than a year I might upgrade to the Belray but that never happens.  Cam.