Author Topic: Lighting coil for 5 hunny  (Read 5463 times)

woodskx500

Lighting coil for 5 hunny
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:49:44 AM »
I've been looking for a lighting coil for my 2002 kx500 that's not a $700
E-line. I found a 75w but that just won't hak it. I have a 24hour woods race coming up, and I need somthing desent.

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:34:29 PM »
Other than a battery powered light(a good one is as much as a E-line) those are your only options.

04kx500

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 06:08:22 AM »
Don't get excited! Even if you wanted to pay the hefty sum they might have  forgot to say the parts are hand made per-order and the wait might be like 3months or so like mine was.

04kx500

Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 01:14:35 PM »
OK, if you are wanting to run at fifth gear pinned at night, purchase the high dollar units and stay out of the hospital.  However, if your race is more technical at slower speeds, here is what you do:

1. Purchase the 75 Watt coil and install it.
2. Purchase a battery for an electric start KTM 525.  The battery gives you constant voltage regardless of RPM, so you have light at idle.  You can also run true 75 watt power lights (preferably two 35 watts just in case one burns out.)
3. Purchase a Moose voltage regulator (the lighting coil will put out AC voltage, so you will need to convert this to DC voltage with a regulator.  A regulator has four wires, two in and two out.  If you purchase a rectifier (two wire), this will not charge your battery, as it is AC voltage, so just controls voltage spikes.)  With the regulater, you will keep the battery charged at higher RPMS.
4. Purchase two Mountain Bike Helmet Lights.  Attach these to your helmet.  I'm not sure if you have ever ridden at night before, but the headlight follows the front wheel, but sometimes you need to see to the right or left, especially in the corners.  The helmet lights will follow your head, and can keep you off your head.  (this is probably a good thing to do even if you opt for the high dollar lights)

I had trouble finding a lighting coil that would fit under my flywheel, so I had to wind my own lighting coil using an old stator for my core.  340 wraps with 20 gauge magnet wire, and I have lights.  I don't race at night, but rather just to get back to the truck if we stay out to late, so don't need mine to be as bright as I would if I raced at night.

Let us know what you decide.

Rick

woodskx500

thanx rick
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »
my racing style is slow, 1st - 2nd gear trails, I will take your advice and use it to my advantage. But I have one more question. Where would I mount the battery? it's a good Idea if I can get it to fit!

Rick

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:56:03 PM »
Your number plate with a light should have room between the tripple clamp and the light to build a small box out of aluminum.  Take a look at the different size bateries at the KTM dealer and select the one that will fit the best.  Another option is to build a small box inside your airbox.  Since your speeds are so low, air supply should not be an issue.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 02:16:43 AM »
I found a procedure (with pics) for making your own lighting coil for an XR100. It look straightforward.  Should be the same for the KX provided the stator frame is similar. I can post it if anyone is interested. Cam.

mikesmith

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 08:06:41 AM »
Post it,cant ever have enough information.

Rick

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 02:12:53 PM »
I agree, post it.  I used information from a 1959 cushman to help me figure out how to build a lighting coil.  That system was 6 volts and required about 160 wraps, so I surmised that if I double the wraps I would get 12 volts.  It worked.  

However, the tough part is the iron core.  Fortunately, I had a burned out stator, so I removed all of the wire and rewound the core with 20 guage magnet wire.  The whole process was trial and error.  I would be interested in seeing the core material information.

Rick

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 02:52:32 AM »
I couldn't figure out how to post the .html article (with about 12 pics), without taking it all apart.  It is quite detailed. Any ideas on an easy way. I can't find the source link anymore.

Here is a second link that might be useful.
http://www.xr650r.us/stator/

Cam.

Offline demographic

Re: thanx rick
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 08:35:36 AM »
Quote from: woodskx500
my racing style is slow, 1st - 2nd gear trails, I will take your advice and use it to my advantage. But I have one more question. Where would I mount the battery? it's a good Idea if I can get it to fit!

You could put it in a fender bag :D

I have heard the some people put em in the airbox but as far as I am concerned airboxes are for air.

teamgreen500

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 12:24:24 PM »
You can mount it to the back panel of the airbox, up towards the top. Leave about a 1/2 inch between the battery and the seat. You can, also, get a sub-frame from an Aussie KDX ("Streeter" 89-91?). It has a battery box mount on it.

Some batteries might even fit under the tank/in front of the air-box.

If you think you've got too much throttle hand and u don't want to take up air-box room...well...you must be D.H. or Mike LaRocco!

Manny

Offline demographic

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »
Quote from: teamgreen500
You can mount it to the back panel of the airbox, up towards the top. Leave about a 1/2 inch between the battery and the seat. You can, also, get a sub-frame from an Aussie KDX ("Streeter" 89-91?). It has a battery box mount on it.

Some batteries might even fit under the tank/in front of the air-box.

If you think you've got too much throttle hand and u don't want to take up air-box room...well...you must be D.H. or Mike LaRocco!

Manny

I used to have a smaller battery located under the left side numberplate in a little home fabricated alloy box but it dies and I have not got round to getting another.
As for the throttle thing, mune spends more time on the road than most KXs so it does get more time at full throttle, and I just don;t like the idea of filling an airbox full of crap plus its simpler to get at to charge up when needed.