Author Topic: Parts for a rear shock rebuild...  (Read 1543 times)

Offline GDubb

Parts for a rear shock rebuild...
« on: February 04, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »
I started my new bike for the first time today, yes I know... I bought it without hearing it run but I bought it from the same guy I bought my last bike from (local shop owner) and trust his experienced judgement when he said he test rode it himself and believed it to be a good solid bike. So anyways, it kicked and started fine, and ran and idled good so I was very pleased with that.  One problem I do have is that once the bike was started and running, I noticed a puddle forming under the bike.  I checked to see where it was coming from and apperently the seal in the shock is blown cause the vibrations from the bike running is all it took to cause all the shock oil to pour down the shaft and onto the ground.  I read the posts on shock rebuilding and am confident that I posess the basic mechanical skills required to perform the rebuild myself.  My only question is this... since I did just buy the bike, and need to rebuild the shock anyways,  what are all the parts I can replace to get the entire shock good as new? And if possible, a ball-park figure on how much the total cost would be? Since I have to do it anyways I would like to do the most thorough rebuild possible.  Thanks!

-gdubb
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Rick

Parts for a rear shock rebuild...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 01:29:09 PM »
Well, since no one else has chimed in, I guess I'll jump in with the parts list.

Essentially, you should replace the seal (you need this anyway), the nitrogen bladder, the oil (I know, obvious, but thought I would list anyway), and the Schrader valve.  Except for the valve and shims (for shock tuning only), that's about all you should ever have to replace.  However, while you have the shock apart, check and make sure the shock rod is not bent.  This happens, and can make the seal go bad.  If it is bent, it can be fixed by a good machine shop, so don't despair.  The seal and bladder should be available through White Brothers or Race Tech for $50-$75, but I use only BelRay 10wt suspension fluid when I rebuild my shocks.

Post up any questions during your rebuild.  Good Luck.

Rick