Author Topic: Spring Rate Suggestions  (Read 13446 times)

Offline heavyweight44

Re: Spring Rate Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
This is exactly what I need, thanks for the link

Offline WOUpf59

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Finally got a chance to go out and ride with the springs and i loved the setup. Definitely think that i got lucky with this setup.

I think I am going to keep the stock spring just in the off chance I choose to sell it at some point.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Sorry, not to hijack this thread, but this question may be appropriate given the title.  

Do stock shocks seem to have to have the preload adjuster really tight or far down?  The reason I ask is because the KX500 that I bought a few months ago has Eibach springs in it that are spec'd for a 240 pound rider.  I even called the shop that put them in for the guy, and they remembered he was a larger fellow.   :-D  I weight 190 without gear, but for me to get 4 inches of race sag the preload adjuster for the shock is about 85% of the way down.  I have less shock to work with.

It just seems odd that I have a spring that is for a heavier rider, but I have to have the preload adjuster really tight for it to get the right amount of sag.

My engine getting rebuilt, and once the engine is back in I'll check the static sag to see where it is.  Once I check the static sag I'll know for sure, but I can't imagine that I'd need a spring stiffer than a 5.8kg/mm spring, which is for riders 220lb+ on most sites that I've researched.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:02:43 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »
Sorry, not to hijack this thread, but this question may be appropriate given the title. 

Do stock shocks seem to have to have the preload adjuster really tight or far down?  The reason I ask is because the KX500 that I bought a few months ago has Eibach springs in it that are spec'd for a 240 pound rider.  I even called the shop that put them in for the guy, and they remembered he was a larger fellow.   :-D  I weight 190 without gear, but for me to get 4 inches of race sag the preload adjuster for the shock is about 85% of the way down.  I have less shock to work with.

It just seems odd that I have a spring that is for a heavier rider, but I have to have the preload adjuster really tight for it to get the right amount of sag.

My engine getting rebuilt, and once the engine is back in I'll check the static sag to see where it is.  Once I check the static sag I'll know for sure, but I can't imagine that I'd need a spring stiffer than a 5.8kg/mm spring, which is for riders 220lb+ on most sites that I've researched.

have you taken the suspension/linkage completely apart and gone through it entirely, checking for anything that could be worn, binding, dry, or bent?....or all of the above?.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
  If I remember correctly turning the preload adj don does not effect the spring rate....Try finding springs for a 350 pound guy with out gear that is a pain in the ass  :-D.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »
have you taken the suspension/linkage completely apart and gone through it entirely, checking for anything that could be worn, binding, dry, or bent?....or all of the above?.

Funny, I just did that yesterday.   :-D  It all seemed to move ok, and if anything, 'seems' like it is too soft.  Yet, the spring rate is for a 240 pound guy and I'm 190 without gear.  ???  It could also be normal.  The adjuster ring is down about 2/3 of the way toward the bottom. 

It seemed fine when I rode it though, so I think I'll wait until I get my engine back from Tom Morgan and get the bike back together and check the static sag to compare it against the race sag.  Until then, I'm just guessing. 

I'm also going to drop my shock off at RG3 suspension here locally to have the fluid changed and the nitrogen recharged.  Not sure if that will help or not, but I think the last time it was done was by a previous owner in 2012, so it's due anyway. 
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »
I'm also going to drop my shock off at RG3 suspension here locally to have the fluid changed and the nitrogen recharged.  Not sure if that will help or not, but I think the last time it was done was by a previous owner in 2012, so it's due anyway. 

that should make a big difference....I have my suspension serviced twice a year....and some of my buddies that race weekly, service theirs as many as 8 times a year.
and every time I have it serviced, I do notice the difference.
matter of fact, I just had all the Race Tech gold valves/hardware pulled out of my 500 forks and had Factory Connection completely rebuild em a week ago....what a difference!
I never had any complaints with the Race Tech set up...but it's much more plush/smoother now.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »
that should make a big difference....I have my suspension serviced twice a year....and some of my buddies that race weekly, service theirs as many as 8 times a year.
and every time I have it serviced, I do notice the difference.
matter of fact, I just had all the Race Tech gold valves/hardware pulled out of my 500 forks and had Factory Connection completely rebuild em a week ago....what a difference!
I never had any complaints with the Race Tech set up...but it's much more plush/smoother now.

Great to hear.  I just dropped the shock off at RG3, so I asked them about it.  They are gong to pull them apart and see what is in there and let me know.  They will do the oil and nitrogen, and any seals that need to be replaced.  I'm hoping it doesn't have desert valving, as I've always trail ridden with motocross valving since I raced when I wan't an older fart.  lol  The guy did say that the valving could cause it to sit down farther than it should, unless the spring itself is not right.  It's only a 2 year old spring though, so doubt if it is mismarked.   :?

I'd rather have it set up for mx so that I can hit the tracks when I want, and then trail or desert ride with the mx setup.  I've never had a problem with that, but then again I'm not a competitive single track or desert rider.  I just cruise around and take it easy.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
that's good...keep us posted.

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Foxx do you no what factory connection did to your forks , softer shim stack or some other type of piston ,what did they do with the gold valves ?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
Foxx do you no what factory connection did to your forks , softer shim stack or some other type of piston ,what did they do with the gold valves ?

no I don't know, I could find out with a phone call...
I've been using them guys for soooo long, they know exactly how I like it setup, just from my feedback I give them...he did ask me if I wanted the Race Tech stuff back, but it would just sit on a shelf in my shop for the next several years until I finally decided I would never use it again, and just throw em' out anyways....so I'm sure he either sold them, or tossed em out.

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
I have a spare 500 ,still with the stock piston etc, like to know what brand stuff they used in your forks . Did they do anything with the mid valve etc? I do suspension as a part time job and hobby so any info would be great, thanks Foxx.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »

Funny, I just did that yesterday.   :-D  It all seemed to move ok, and if anything, 'seems' like it is too soft.  Yet, the spring rate is for a 240 pound guy and I'm 190 without gear.  ???  It could also be normal.  The adjuster ring is down about 2/3 of the way toward the bottom. 

It seemed fine when I rode it though, so I think I'll wait until I get my engine back from Tom Morgan and get the bike back together and check the static sag to compare it against the race sag.  Until then, I'm just guessing. 

So, I think I have my answer as to why the shock spring (a shop put springs in for the last owner, who weighed 240 pounds) needed so much preload for me at 190 pounds.  I dropped it off at RG3 last week, and they just called me this morning.  They said the bladder was so compressed that when they took it apart that the shock sprayed the guy and sprayed half the shop.  Doh!  He also said there was hardly any nitrogen in the shock.

I asked him if this could explain why I needed to have the preload adjusted so far down, and he felt that it could.  I asked what would cause that, and he basically said that the last time it was serviced (not by Pro Circuit) that they probably didn't put it back together right.  He said I probably had very little rebound, so it should feel much better when I get it back.

I didn't get a chance to push it much, since it was just the start of my third short track session when the engine grenaded.   :cry:

So, if others see something like this happening to them, I'd recommend getting the shock serviced by a reputable shop.  Probably obvious, but just thought I'd mention it if this comes up during a search in the future.