Author Topic: valves  (Read 4299 times)

Offline staffylad

valves
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »
just recently done a top end on my kx,cleaned all the carbon out of the valves and realised the r/h valve had 3teeth missin from it,put it all back together now its rattling rather loud,anyone?  :|

Offline staffylad

Re: valves
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:02 AM »
l/h Imean,seems to be a common fault,kawasaki don't stock that valve anymore maybe they ran out lol ..

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:09 AM »
just recently done a top end on my kx,cleaned all the carbon out of the valves,put it all back together now its rattling rather loud,anyone?  :|

sounds like typical KIPS rattle after you cleaned them real good....sometimes cleaning the cylinder slots "too good" where the valve drums go can cause excessive rattling. The 500's are famous for this. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline staffylad

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »
well ive give the whole cylinder and kips a good decoke of carbon so ther all clean but its rattlin like hell is this something to worry about,they must of been bedded in carbon now that's gone,but how long would it run with them 3worn teeth in the l/h valves,would then not just crunch up eventually causing more damage or not,this bike is nearly 20yr old and never been looked after until now,i got the head n base skimmed the barrel honed and new piston and rings in and gaskets ,new carb kit ,it starts first time,ive been running it for 15minutes at a time letting cool down then doing it agen the following day just let the piston bed in abit ,the idol screw doesn't really work unless you ride it warm it up then tune the air screw and idol screw together ,im just wondering weather im gonna have to get a new valve kip kit and take the top end off again  :roll:

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
it wouldn't hurt to get a new valve....everything is still available here in the U.S....except for the RH valve for some reason.
you can find everything here.....you don't have to buy from Motosport, but at least you can see what's available...

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/1994/KX250/CYLINDER-HEAD~CYLINDER
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline staffylad

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
thanks man,am comin to America for me next holiday like,id rather buy a full kip kit a think rather then just one valve becos itl have different ware to the rest,ther hard to get here like all 94 parts,by the time you pay the shipping and import fees its the same as buyin from Kawasaki lol,ive done abita research and ther all sayin its normal to rattle noisy kips less carbon so they've got all that room to move around now but doesn't that mean CRUNCH I don't want the cogs to crunch up and fall into me engine,just been for some fresh gas gonna run it in up the hill and tune the carb with the new kit in  :evil: :evil:

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
by all means, if you've got the money to spend, that's the way I'd go...all new valves and components...that'll cut down on "some" of the rattle too.
I've never heard of a KIPS system failing after cleaning out the carbon build-up...but anything's possible if you're running it with a valve that has a bad gear.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:36:37 AM »
thanks beever,the research on the noisy kips give me a happy buzz in the end ive been for a runon my bike today,thought it was never gonna happen but it did,noisy kips went away when she revs up,was nicely smoking some putoline,fouled a plug a first but old one fired straight up then the fun started,then I came across another job lol steeing headstock bearings are gone so thought I might aswell do the fork seals while am ther ... :roll: :-D