Author Topic: kx 250 94 top end rebuild (agen)  (Read 9197 times)

Offline staffylad

kx 250 94 top end rebuild (agen)
« on: March 22, 2014, 02:43:19 AM »
never trust someone to do the work on your bike  :|

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: kx 250 94 top end rebuild (agen)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:45:18 AM »
huh...do tell.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline staffylad

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:04:22 AM »
should ther be any play on the pison from side to side and the arm moves side to sided but up n downs ok :)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
hopefully you're experiencing this while the cylinder is off?? :?....
there will be "some" side to side play...unfortunately I don't have the extra parts lying around to take pics to show you, but there has to be a little play, otherwise the rod would be tight against the piston...and it wouldn't be able to rotate as it went up and down...do you follow? :wink:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline staffylad

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
seems a lot to me and the piston was moving side to side a lot aswell,its been scrapin up the side on the bore at the bottom,im in 2 minds weather to do this top end incase the conrods not right ,could ther possibly be the wrong size bearings in causing them to have toomuch play to cause the piston to do that to the bore ..:)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
when your motor was rebuilt, what was claimed to be replaced?...it is possible the big and small end bearings were'nt replaced, and the ones in there now are shot....
if your cylinder is getting scored up, I wouldn't run it any more until you find the root cause of the problem....post some pics and even video so we can see what's going on, and hopefully be able to better help you.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
the cylinder heads off now on the bench,the crank is submerged in water,the bottom of the bore is scraped and so is the piston down onside,the scrap on the bore is at the bottom of the front ,he claimed to to have replaced the crank and conrod but it looks like my old crank with a new conrod wich is movin side to side and the piston was moving side to side a lot,they both seem to have a lot of play sideways,the top bearings look new and the rings are but the piston looks like my old one,it was running when I got it back,ive rode it once took it out wouldn't start took the plug off and it was sprayin water up,so I took the head off and I think it hasn't been skimmed but the play on the conrod has to be the reason for the piston scraping the bore? that's my thoughts so far lol ... :|

Offline staffylad

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
hmmm :|...try to get a few more pics of the cylinder plating, on the exhaust side too...it looks questionable in that one pic.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 03:04:22 AM »
The plating looks like it is worn out around the exhaust port, although it's hard to tell.
Get a feeler gauge and measure the crank to rod side clearance and tell us what it is.
I'm guessing that the cylinder was not plated or even honed before the new piston was installed, is that correct?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 04:08:18 AM »
yes its looking like the head hasn't been skimmed causing this problem so its a new top end build :)

Offline staffylad

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
someone says don't skim the head do it yaself with a grindin plate becos they take toomuch off apparently and the bores looking like its nickel so I might just get away with rubbing it down and putting a new piston in + gaskets but I think I will get it skimmed as these are wer the problems started  :-D

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 02:00:33 AM »
Motorrad turned a bunch of us on to Time Saver lapping compound....works awesome. You'll need a FLAT surface to work on...I snagged a nice piece of 5/8" safety glass from work and had it cut down to 20"x 20", it's a little big and heavy, but works perfect for lapping cylinders and heads...but any hard flat surface will work. You will want to pull the cylinder studs and lap the cylinder along with the head, so that BOTH mating surfaces are flat...no point in doing one and not the other.  

you can get it here, or other places that might be more practical shipping cost wise....you want the Yellow Label 100N as shown here...

http://www.ws2coating.com/timesaverlappingcompounds.aspx

Offline staffylad

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 03:46:53 AM »
cheers beaver ive just been polishin me head I like to take the clear coat off and shine them up  :-D