Author Topic: late model tc fork conversion k5  (Read 4369 times)

Offline climber05

late model tc fork conversion k5
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
Ive been looking all over kxriderz and every deep dark corner of the internet for some definitive information regarding the twin chamber fork swap onto a 89-04 k5 and seems all I can find is bits of advice. I would like to use 07 and up kx450f forks from what ive read thats the easiest set to make work. Can anyone give me a proper briefing on whats involved in this swap? Or possibly an alternative that is easier. Yz450f forks?  :?
2strokes gets me off

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: late model tc fork conversion k5
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
Call Emig Racing  1-866-GET-EMIG.
Order a stem for a conversion from KX450F triple to a KX500 frame.
Press the stem out of the KX450F triple.
Press in your new stem to the KX450F triple.

Someone else can chime in but I believe the front wheel and brake are the same.
But I think you may need the front axle.
Ask Motorrad or Alward25
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:53:39 AM »
I've changed stems in the past, but I believe AllBalls has bearings designed to eliminate the need to change stems.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:24 AM »
front hub are different, kx500 hub is wider.  You need the emig stem, then the 450 wheel, forks, clamps, the brake caliper mount i think is different.
"Let there be light"

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:19:25 AM »
even if the brakes aren't different you will want to change them, they are better. thinking for a minute they are for sure different, the 500 goes under the caliper and up the fork the 450 have a honda style routing. I would go with the Emig stem, you could do it the other way using all balls bearings but the stem is longer on the 450 so you would have to make a spacer.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:30:07 AM »
Ive been looking all over kxriderz and every deep dark corner of the internet for some definitive information regarding the twin chamber fork swap onto a 89-04 k5 and seems all I can find is bits of advice. I would like to use 07 and up kx450f forks from what ive read thats the easiest set to make work. Can anyone give me a proper briefing on whats involved in this swap? Or possibly an alternative that is easier. Yz450f forks?  :?

Link him to my fork swap.  It had trail numbers offset numbers steering stops etc all in there

Motorrad

Offline climber05

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »
I contacted emig and am ordering a k5 stem with 450 tripples. Ballin out of control! :mrgreen:
2strokes gets me off

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
I am putting some A Kit KX450 forks and triples on my KX250F/500 steel frame. The clamps went right into the steel frame and I made a small steering stop to not let them over rotate. Stock KX450 wheel, axles, spacers. Are the KX500s that much different in bearing sizes?

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
I contacted emig and am ordering a k5 stem with 450 tripples. Ballin out of control! :mrgreen:

Sweet. Make sure to keep us updated love watching you guys wrench on stuff!!

Offline climber05

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »
Will do motorrad. Ive got a custom wheel coming from rad mfg along with a new mag coated 47t sprocket and a wavy rotor. Once I get that ass end together ill post a couple picks. After that ill order my trees. Cmotodad im not suprised that the 450 stem and tripples fit in you you 250f chassis its similar era 4t stuff they never really changed much. The front axle lists for every kawi mx bike made from about 03 till 13. At least that what ive seen.
2strokes gets me off