Author Topic: what have I got into??? Clicking noise  (Read 8574 times)

Offline thunder

what have I got into??? Clicking noise
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
Ok, so I just bought a kx125 with some issues. Got it cheap so I'm crossing my fingers on it. 

It ticks pretty loud until the clutch is pulled in.  Then it goes away.  Bottom end was supposively rebuild recently and I'm wondering if it was done incorrectly or if its something with the clutch.  Don't know much about the clutches but I'm told the basket looks ok and doesn't have any grooves.  Will be pulling it apart this week just wanted to get a heads up on what to look for.

Thanks for any help.

Offline thunder

Re: what have I got into??? Clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:53:04 AM »
wow, no ones ever heard of this I guess.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:36 AM »
Patience Thunder, lots of knowledge from everyone here that is willing to help out. Check your bearing & bushing on the clutch basket.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:22:02 AM »
you may get a clue when you drain the oil.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:28:11 AM »
Welcome thunder.
DoldGuy is correct, there isn't any auto answer bots 24/7 waiting to answer any and all questions.
We all work and do this at our leisure  :-D
Pull the clutch cover off, and take a good look.
You may find a loose or broken pressure plate tower, loose bolt, the main clutch bearing might be junk, or a host of other issues could be causing the noise.
Unfortunately, you can't diagnose a tick in your engine without some disassembly.
Let us know what you find and post some pics of your ride.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
If it goes away when clutch is pulled in. Sounds like it's in the tranny

Offline thunder

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:12 AM »
ok, thanks guys.  That gives me something to start with. Hope to pull it apart tonight.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:35 AM »
Find anything broken yet? Hard to diagnose with so many moving parts that could all be the culprit. I have had a kick start gear get hung up just enough that it made a clicking noise on the clutch gear. The cause was a burr on the kick start shaft that the gear rides on.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline thunder

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
Just today got it taken apart some. So far dont see anything too bad although I dont hace calipers to measure the plates. Spring all same size. 1 screw holding springs in place was shorter than others n had a philips head. Gonna read manual and figure how to get basket off next. There was a gear back there pretty rounded off. Or could be the inner basket. It did have some grooves. Outer was ok.

I'm concerned now that previous owner didn't use correct parts. 1 Screw was shorter. I just watched a video on youtube on guy with 03 kx125 doing clutch rebuild also and his springs look longer than mine too. 

Anyone have measurement on the springs??

Thanks, all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:49:58 AM by thunder »

Offline thunder

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
also the oil was pretty nasty when I drained it.  I honestly thought the clutch plates where magnetized until I washed them all off.  They were sticking together and hard to pull apart.

My online manual I bought hasn't been emailed yet but I think i can figure out how to get the clutch basket off with my impact.

Offline Goat

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
Basket is pretty simple. There is a thin washer that gets bent over the side of the nut to keep it from loosening. Make sure you flatten that out before trying to remove the nut. There should be a spacer and needle bearing behind the basket.

Clutch plates soaked in oil create a vacuum to eachother. Make sure there are no burn marks or hot spots (discoloring) on the steel plates. I recommend purchasing a cheap caliper to measure clutch plates, springs ect. I bought a digital one from Harbor Freight for less than $10 It's not 100% accurate but were not working on exact tolerances either.

What year is your bike?

The following is straight out of my manual which covers 82-91 kx125 and kx250. Hope it helps.

Clutch spring length -     New                   Service limit
1988-1989                   39.4mm (1.55")     37.9mm (1.49")
1990-on                      37.5mm (1.48")     36.1mm (1.42")
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline thunder

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Thanks for the info goat. Gonna get calipers and take the basket off. My bike Iis a 2003. Springs only measured 1.25 inches so definetely short.

UPDATE: I just bought a kit on ebay that includes plates and springs both for $35 new.  Still gonna take the basket off and check it out but why not start with something easy and know exactly what I got.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:51:14 AM by thunder »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:24:53 AM »
UPDATE: I just bought a kit on ebay that includes plates and springs both for $35 new.

$35!...d**n that's short money!...what brand?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline thunder

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:07:43 AM »
NEW KG Clutch Factory complete kit with fibers, plates and springs (and stickers!).

that's the title.

Offline Goat

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »
Stickers will definitely make it go faster. Not a bad deal for all those parts. Hope they are good quality. I've never heard of KG so I'm off to research.