Author Topic: 92 KX250 Runs(barely) want to rebuild. Shift lever pin broken off. Help?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline justjimmy999

I am considering a rebuild of the engine.  Will a 1993 engine and parts fit?  I am a newbie to this site, and the KX in general.  I have had it for years but its day has come.  Will not cold kick start.  I can roll start down a very long decline.  It runs horrible, eats oil, still has some power though.  Any suggestions?  Also the shift lever pin broke in second.  I need to tear down to replace that.  Looking for any and all suggestions.  Also interested maybe in buying a complete engine or willing to sell bike

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 92 KX250 Runs(barely) want to rebuild. Shift lever pin broken off. Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:30:34 AM »
92 and 93 were the "J" models...so most parts, if not all will interchange.
If you can only get it started by rolling down a long hill, more than likely your top-end is smoked....a simple compression test can verify that....might as well do a leak down test too....if it's smoking real bad and eating oil, it could very well have a bad main seal.
Post up a couple pics...lets have a look at the ole 250.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline justjimmy999

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »
I will gladly post some more photos later tonight.  Here's a couple for now.  Ill take some good ones of the engine etc.  BTW, it has a new Stator, and plug.  I figured as old as it is couldn't hurt for me to tear it down and take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qirqgp3mfklm6wm/rUWgQObSA2

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
it's all there...looks good.
if you're gonna keep it, then yeah I would pull the motor, split the cases and replace all bearings and seals and anything else that looks questionable, get a new crank(if available), replate the cylinder, and a fresh top-end...and ride it.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline justjimmy999

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »
Thanks.  I found a 93 in my town to pull gear shift pin off.  Was looking to buy a "complete" rebuild kit.  Im a car guy, so I am curious is there any need to re-bore this thing?  Or is that asking for more problems.  The forks are good, rear suspension is actually still very solid.  I have 2 sets of plastics(save radiator guards, which I need).  Plus I just like it.  Clutch is not so good, but would add that to rebuild.  If I can come out under $400 ill give it a go.  If not, ill probably part it out.  This thing is still fast, but wont climb worth a d**n.  Any suggestions or warnings about where to get parts?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »
the chances of coming out of it for $400 or less are...nill. Probably be more like $1000+ to do it
right. If you do a ghetto rebuild, you could keep inside the $400 limit....but I'd get rid of it soon if you go that route :wink:

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
the chances of coming out of it for $400 or less are...nill. Probably be more like $1000+ to do it
right. If you do a ghetto rebuild, you could keep inside the $400 limit....but I'd get rid of it soon if you go that route :wink:

+1

Completely rebuilt is expensive but if everything is done properly you're basically running a brand new engine that if proper maintenance is done will last for a long time. Couple years ago I completely rebuilt a 91 250 and grand total with all gaskets, seals, piston kit, replate cylinder and a brand new wiseco crank was real close to $1400 USD. Well worth it when you are on a trail many miles from home and civilization.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline TJXK

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
Would it really cost that much?  I found a hot rods/vertex piston kit that covers the top and bottom end for $430.  A cylinder replate is $200 or so. 

What am I missing?  I might have to do the whole shebang to my 03.

Offline justjimmy999

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
I greatly appreciate all the info.  Sadly I have done some research and math.  I believe I am going to part out this old horse.  $1400 goes a long way to a newer bike.  I did love the way this bike hopped though.  Good model and was real tuff.  Took a long beating for 20 years.  So I can not complain.  Anyone looking for parts? LOL!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
Would it really cost that much?  I found a hot rods/vertex piston kit that covers the top and bottom end for $430.  A cylinder replate is $200 or so. 

What am I missing?  I might have to do the whole shebang to my 03.

stay away from hot rods...they don't last...OEM is the best way to go, if they're available.
I've never used a vertex piston so I can't say anything about them, I run a wossner in my 250.
you could save a handful on the bearings if you go to a local bearing shop....but you're still gonna be either side of a grand.

Offline TJXK

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
d**n...

From a bit of googling it looks like vertex makes KTM's OEM pistons.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:48:46 AM by TJXK »