Author Topic: 89 KX125 - Possible restoration  (Read 14147 times)

Offline queen of spodes

89 KX125 - Possible restoration
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
The original owner of the bike I just bought thought it would be smart to weld the front sprocket to the countershaft.   As you see below, there's as much weld as there is sprocket.  

My question is can the countershaft be removed by sliding it to the outside of the case?  If not, would it better to try and grind down the end of the countershaft or put a torch on it?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:17:35 PM by queen of spodes »

Offline KevinTwoStk

Re: 89 KX125 - PO welded sprocket to countershaft. Removal help needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »
I wouldn't use a cutting torch. I think you'll have better control with a grinder with a flap-disc or a soft disc mounted in the chuck.

By the time you grind the welds and shaft until they're flush with the face of the sprocket I would expect the sprocket to separate from the shaft.

Unfortunately, the countershaft itself will have to be replaced. I don't see a way around this. Sandblaster might have a replacement available for you.

The previous owner probably lost the clip and decided that a weld was just as good.

How does the rest of the bike look? Hopefully, this is the worst mechanical issue you'll encounter and not the "tip of the iceberg."

If memory serves, 1989 was a very good year for the KX 125.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »
I agree with the grinding method...but, just going based off the luck that I don't ever seem to have...don't be surprised if the snap ring groove on the shaft is damaged/useless from the weld :x
...then you're gonna have to pull the motor and open it up to fix it....or, you could weld on another sprocket :-P
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
...then you're gonna have to pull the motor and open it up to fix it

My hope is that the countershaft is still available from Kawasaki.  I plan to pull this motor apart to bead-blast cases, cylinder & head in addition to replacing seals/gaskets, bearings, ect.  It will get a full rebuild.   

If the countershaft is NLA then I'm more inclined to part this machine out.   kawasakipartswarehouse.com has the part showing as available but I've learned that doesn't mean much.

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
Unfortunately, the countershaft itself will have to be replaced. I don't see a way around this. Sandblaster might have a replacement available for you.
Who/what is Sandblaster?  Am I correct in assuming the countershaft is NLA?

How does the rest of the bike look? Hopefully, this is the worst mechanical issue you'll encounter and not the "tip of the iceberg."

The rest of the bike is in bad condition, but I couldn't spot any frame cracks.  The engine looks terrible, so it would be the first thing I tear down.  I suspect one of the cases has a crack in the bottom, but haven't had time to confirm yet.

If memory serves, 1989 was a very good year for the KX 125.

The 89 was bike of the year for MXA and Dirt Bike if I remember.  It was hands down the best of the 125s that year.  The 46mm conventional forks were some of the best to come on that era of mx bikes.   I previously owned a '85 and '86 KX125 and loved both dearly.   They were my first full size mx bikes!  So there is some nostalgia tied up in this purchase.  

If I can source some new parts for the engine (countershaft and who knows what else when I get inside), I may do a full resto.  Piston, crank, bearings, ect -- not worried about those since they are relatively easy to come by.  The radiator is garbage, and the carb looks like it was "worked on" with vice grips.   The rest of the bike isn't a pretty sight, but here's what I did with a 87 RM250 a few years ago

before

after

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
that RM came out nice...Bob Hannah would be proud.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02:13 AM »
That RM is gorgeous!

My brother has an '87 RM 125 that's sitting around waiting for some funds and attention.

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »
I got very lucky and found a bunch of cosmetic NOS parts for the RM, including a brand new seat (OEM). 

As I look over ebay and the parts fiche, I'm a little apprehensive that I'll be able to reproduce similar results with this KX125.   I can get plastic, OEM graphics, most of the basic engine bits.   But knowing I'll have to split cases to fix the countershaft, I'm wondering what else I'll run across. 

The bike looks like it has been beat to death.   So - shift forks could be out of spec.  Only two are still available from Kaw.  that leaves three that can't be replaced or I take chances with someone else's used shift forks on fleabay.

I think I can pick up necessary bearings and seals either with available OEM or aftermarket parts from NAPA.  Con rods are still available.

I haven't checked the ignition system, so hopefully the ignition module and stator are OK.   Coil is still available and affordable. 

I need front brakes - the entire system was stripped off the bike.

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
13128-1163 is discontinued but, 89-93 is the same.

Have you heard of anyone putting a newer model KX125 engine in the '88/89 frame?   Was there a huge redesign in '94 up?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
yes....in 1990 Kawie changed to the perimeter frame...completely different.

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »

Yeah, I realized that.  I read that the countershaft is the same 89-93 - was hoping I'd have more options as I have a bad feeling about the engine in my bike.  If shift forks were newly available I'd feel much better. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

Yeah, I realized that.  I read that the countershaft is the same 89-93 - was hoping I'd have more options as I have a bad feeling about the engine in my bike.  If shift forks were newly available I'd feel much better. 

it can be done....there's some guys on here that have done just about every conversion you can think of.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:11 AM »
Obsolete 13140-1070 FORK-SHIFT,2ND&3RD fits 82-91 kx125
Obsolete 13140-1123 FORK-SHIFT,5TH&TOP fits 85-91 kx125
Obsolete 13140-1124 FORK-SHIFT,LOW&4TH fits 85-91 kx125
I would keep my eyes open on eBay for a NOS set.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.