Author Topic: oil check  (Read 9133 times)

Offline staffylad

oil check
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
just checkin how many times would people recommend oil change on a kx 250 94 and whats the correct mix for the petrol and 2stroke I use putoline
kind regards

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: oil check
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
just checkin how many times would people recommend oil change on a kx 250 94 and whats the correct mix for the petrol and 2stroke I use putoline
kind regards

a couple things should be considered...like how hard are you on the clutch?..are you running steel or aluminum clutch plates?...what oil are you using for your tranny?.

I change mine quite frequently (like every 5-ish hours) because I'll only run aluminum plates....and I'm hard on a clutch. I've used Bel-Ray 80W Gear Saver for years...it's expensive, but I haven't had any problems/failures using it.

You should be able to run a 40:1 mix without any problems...be sure you're jetted for your altitude/conditions and it'll be good.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:50:00 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline TJXK

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
Certain conditions might require a richer mix, such as sand.  The motor has to work much harder so it needs more oil.  This is what I've been told, so maybe someone else with more experience could chime in.

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Instead of changing the premix ratio for deep sand, run the jetting a little richer. Go up one size on the main jet, for instance.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »
I holland it's mostly sand, and I mean deep and heavy sand.
And I ride 40:1 premix, only a bit richer on the jet/ needle than hardpack

Some one told me when adding more oil and not changing the jetting.
It could seeze because the air/fuel mixure is getting leaner.
Don't know it's true.

dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
Certain conditions might require a richer mix, such as sand.  The motor has to work much harder so it needs more oil.  This is what I've been told, so maybe someone else with more experience could chime in.

that's incorrect....more oil will make it leaner.
think about it for a second....the more oil you put in gas...the thicker the gas becomes...thicker gas is going to have a harder time passing through the jets...which in return, leans it out.
Oil also burns hotter than gas, so your motor will run hotter when you run a heavier mix....definitely not the set-up you want for deep sand where the motor will be working hard.

KevinTwoStk and Dutchie have the right idea....go fatter jets/jetting.

You should never change mix ratios without changing your jets/jetting to compensate for the different fuel viscosity...pick a ratio and stick with it. I am running 50:1 in both my 250 and 500...but I also had to re-jet both bikes to that ratio.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:47:21 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:00:12 AM »
How often do I change the crankcase oil?
Frequently.
Regardless of what lubrication you use, the more often you change it, the better.
Gears and clutch plated wear as you ride releasing particles.
These particles rumble around your crankcase acting like liquid sand paper taking out bearings, seals, and clutch plates.

Premix.... You could write a book on that...So I settled for a short story :-D
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109
I use Motul 800 at 50:1 in the desert, dunes, dirt, and street.
Jetting is everything... What works good on a warm sunny day at higher altitudes and high humidity would frag your motor at the coast regardless of the temperature and humidity.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline TJXK

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »

I see.  I must have remembered it wrong.  Good to know though.  I didn't realize it would lean out the jetting by adding more premix.  That definitely makes sense.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »

I see.  I must have remembered it wrong.  Good to know though.  I didn't realize it would lean out the jetting by adding more premix.  That definitely makes sense.

I read about it over 30 years ago in an article Rick Sieman wrote in one of the Dirt Bike magazine issues...and like you, before reading that article I thought adding more oil would make it richer...back then I had a new 83 CR125 which took pre-mix at 20:1.
About 20 years ago, my buddy and I started talking about it one day, comparing each others opinions...then he decided to try a quick experiment.
He got two identical plastic cups, drilled a 1/16th" hole in the bottom of each one, then put an identical amount of fuel in each one....one had a 32:1 mix, and the other was straight gas.
The one with straight gas drained a few seconds faster every time.

There's a TON of info on the web about this controversial subject...even on this site...but you can do simple experiments right in the comfort of your own garage that don't lie.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:47:32 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline staffylad

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 05:00:03 AM »
thanks some good replys ther ,ive been running 150ml of putoline to 5 litres of gas but I want to tune my carb and set the jets and idol correctly ,it rains here mostly so its in the shed lol but when it finaly drys I will be on track so itl prob wettish mud surface so that means a lot of water density ...
cool :)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:40 AM »
be sure to verify your float height is set correctly before you touch any jets, then go small increments at a time when it comes to changing jets.

Offline staffylad

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
the float was stuck at first so I cleaned it all out didn't look like it been cleaned since 1994 lol looked like soap powder sugar type decay cleaned all that out now just need set the jets n idol  :evil: :evil:666

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »
I haven't finished writing it yet but here is some good info on adjusting your float height.
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=586

There is enough info there for you to get the basic idea...
Thanks goes to Motorrad for the idea.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
I haven't finished writing it yet but here is some good info on adjusting your float height.
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=586

There is enough info there for you to get the basic idea...
Thanks goes to Motorrad for the idea.

Yup...externally is the BEST way to set/verify float height...period.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:59:39 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline staffylad

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
cheers looks like a good way to test the fuel bowl level that with a drain plug nozel welded on wat kind of nozel is it thoe wer would I find one ,seem high level wat Kawasaki recommend like doesn't it
 :evil: