Author Topic: klx450/kx500  (Read 87015 times)

Offline Twosmokerfan

Re: klx450/kx500
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
Hey mate.

I saved all the hassle and bought an acerbis 16L tank for my klx500. It bets me about 90km now before I start getting nervous.

I would love to see the tank and what it looks like and what you did to make it get more volume without getting really wide.

TSF

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:18 AM »
Faaaaark bloke that's terrible consumption ....I rode the cr to Phillip island and back a couple of years ago I ended up getting up there almost on a tank (120 klms) and its 11lts

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:41 AM »
I also noticed the carburation on the kx was miles up the s**t....Im running a 50 pilot and a 160 main and it's right on the money...before with the 60 pilot and 168 main it was covering the rear in black unburnt fuel...it's EVERYWHERE

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Yes it is crap consumption. I am slowly leaning off the mix as I go as the the whole thing was a build from the bottom up and I had no starting point. I am on 55 pilot and 168 and it is still black everywhere.

I will adjust it more in the coming weeks. Work has been taking most of my time.

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
let me know how you get on with it....i took mine for a quick run down the road yesterday and its still not 100% right....i noticed black crap on the rear fender again but no way near like before.....Im struggling to come to terms with this....IT SHOULD NOT BE DOING THIS!!!!!The honda spits nothing out the back....i mean nothing.....I thought maybe its and air restriction so i removed the air boot on the back and no better (thats the only thing thats diffrent from it sitting in a steel or alloy frame) I pumped up the cases to check for a seal issue,It holds pressure fine....I have 4 carbs here been right through everyone of them....nothing wrong......I will say the kx is no way near as responsive as the honda the way it is now....the honda is  right there immediatly off the stopper...and i mean RIGHT there....you have to be totally on the ball with throttle control or your going straight over the back....I thought it may be the pipe but its not....ive tried a service honda one.....same deal.....lets work together on this and see if we can sort it because im sure its not meant to be like this!

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
Sounds like a great idea, as mine is not the fire breather that I want and it uses a shed load of fuel.  That said, everyone here I asked seemed to think that 7 litres to do 40 km sounds about right. I am flat out pulling a wheel stand under power in 3rd, so work is definitely needed.

Where are you locate in AUSTRALIA? PM me you phone number.

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »
7 litres to 40klms with DISMAL performance like this?????Sorry guys I'm not sold on this engine just yet....If I'm sacrificing fuel,I want to be making more power!I don't have experience with this engine in particular,nor have I really ridden any as new kx500's but I can't help feeling there's something lacking here....The engine is healthy but I'm no way near intimidated of this engine....I ride the Honda quite hard (although I'm no world class racer) it just seems I've always got enough power to loft the front in any gear,including top...I get off it never asking it for more than it can give me...The only complaint I have with it is I can just about feel every power cycle from the engine and it does vibrate more than the kx....I have a 2000 kx500 that I haven't ridden stashed away maybe I need to get it out and run it and see how that runs????Maybe it is my pipe and the service Honda pipe is also a pile aswell????Im not ready to give up just yet but i reckon my old 89 cr250 was just as fast!!

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
TSF
did you measure your squish?I havent rebuilt my engine but it seems to be really low hours....i stuck a piston and rings in it the other day...thats about all.....I been thinking and thinking about this....I was thinking A)Its getting too much fuel. B)its not getting enough air......C) It just cant burn the mix properly for some reason so i pulled the head off and measured the squish.....Well....ITS 3MM!!!!!!Im going to machine it then report back .....

Offline Twosmokerfan

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
I didn't measure the squish, but I did note the piston did only just sit below the top of the barrel.

I might give you a call tomorrow.

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
ride report.....The CR smokes it so far......but im not done yet....Im working on junking the electrical system as i believe this may be where most of the problem is.....ive run a strobe light on both bikes....the cr is rock solid (the black mark i put on the flywheel is steady and dark in colour) and advances/retards...The kx system however is not correct,It is faint then solid every now and then....after a big blip of the throttle the mark disappears all together and it appears to flash 180 away!(near bdc) Ive tried diffrent CDI units and stators.....same thing... my mate just bought a 98 kx500 and same thing on his.The CR feels so much lighter/willing to pick up the front wheel due to its far superior response/acceleration.The klx/kx hybrid feels like a powerful KDX250....i did a few ripping high gear wheelies on it but still no way near the honda....the honda feels like a motorcross bike and the kawasaki feels like a trail bike.....In short honda ripping bottom end,fat power all the way through to the top where the things pulling like a freight train right through all gears.....kawasaki not too bad bottom end,very very smooth power signing off way too early....not right....still something wrong....I have a decomp pusher valve on the cr,the kx has the victa mower valve which is far superior........i will be putting the auto decomp on the cr right after i sort the kx out.

I have a pretty cool idea for the kawasaki thats going to blow your mind....doing cad work for it this weekend and will be firing up the machine centre next week....stay tuned....its ground breaking :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:02:24 PM by ylwgtr »

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »
When putting your engine together what head gasket did you use? There is a optional thick headgasket that makes the power super smooth. I went back to the standard gasket on my 500 and love it! More bottom (although I didnt feel it was lacking before) a more noticeable midrange hit and pulls stronger throughout the powerband. Just a thought.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
hi thanks for the input....however ive been there....im running the standard gasket and ive machined the head (just tightened up the squish) made it more crisp but still nothing on the cr

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
I have a pretty cool idea for the kawasaki thats going to blow your mind....doing cad work for it this weekend and will be firing up the machine centre next week....stay tuned....its ground breaking :)

I can't wait...
Any hints?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
hahaha not telling just yet ;)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
hahaha not telling just yet ;)

That stinks  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.