Author Topic: leaky head gasket  (Read 3872 times)

Offline kmix5

• http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/mickausti
leaky head gasket
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:49 AM »
my head gasket on my K5 is leaking coolant. not much, just enough to bug me! this is the second time this has happened! I put the gasket on dry! should I be using a sealant on the water jacket part of the gasket? Or maybe it's just a cheap gasket? whats a good one? Anyone ever have any problems with the high compression gaskets and do I need to re jet or anything?
When in doubt, gas it!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: leaky head gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:41:31 AM »
my head gasket on my K5 is leaking coolant. not much, just enough to bug me! this is the second time this has happened! I put the gasket on dry! should I be using a sealant on the water jacket part of the gasket? Or maybe it's just a cheap gasket? whats a good one? Anyone ever have any problems with the high compression gaskets and do I need to re jet or anything?

Q: should I be using a sealant on the water jacket part of the gasket?
A: Nope

Q:whats a good one?
A: Cometic

Q:Anyone ever have any problems with the high compression gaskets
A: Depends on who made it, the condition of the engine and mating surfaces, and how it was installed.

Q: do I need to re jet or anything?
A: Depends on how you are currently jetted, the condition of the engine, your riding altitude, quality of fuel, end compression ratio desired, ect.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »
I used to always install them dry. but after fighting leaks with good or cheap gaskets I started using copper coat with great sucsess. I do always lap the cyl and head .

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline wierdo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
if you have flat surfaces a new gasket and it leaks then have a close look at the cylinder head stud where the leak is, you might find the stud is stretching. actually check them all. I am about to replace all mine with stainless steel studs and nuts. and time-serts thread inserts.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
also... the studs will PULL up some material around the studs..    I countersink around all my stud holes.

Offline wierdo

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »
when you install time-serts the kit requires you to countersink the holes with a special tool just for this purpose. leaving a flush surface. 

Offline kmix5

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:42:08 AM »
What's a good Lapping compound and what's a good technique? I've never "Lapped" anything, well, except Honda's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's, and KTM's!
When in doubt, gas it!

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »
What's a good Lapping compound and what's a good technique? I've never "Lapped" anything, well, except Honda's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's, and KTM's!

Time saver.   Yellow. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »

The best stuff on the market for lapping aluminum is Timesaver.. Period..

The cylinder must be off the bike.
The studs must be removed from the cylinder.
Mix the Timesaver with some ATF and apply liberally to your head or cylinder deck.
Place the head on top of the cylinder and rub it round and round and reapply as you go along.
Of course if your head or deck is warped you'll be there a long time  :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »

Time saver.   Yellow. 

You need to stop watching the site and prepare for your big day...  :-D

Offline kmix5

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »
Great info! And yes, I need to get in the shop n get on it!
When in doubt, gas it!