Author Topic: Longmont Co, Flooding  (Read 22480 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Longmont Co, Flooding
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Watchin the news really shows some nasty stuff.
My prayers go out to all those who have suffered a loss...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
Watchin the news really shows some nasty stuff.
My prayers go out to all those who have suffered a loss...

yes... this pics let remember me the big floods here in germany in 2002 and this year...  in 2002 i was at the river elbe . we filled million of sandbags and builded walls of it to hold the water out of the citys  .  the 2013-flood was even heavier... but not as hard like this flood in colorado at the moment... 

big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
so i got it to Idle, and rev in the garage, but as soon as i put it in gear, and go ride, instantly bogs and, and will no longer idle or rev up even under WFO.
  and after i get to the point of WFO, I have to hold it WFO, or it dies, and it only goes just above idle a thousand or 2 rev's... WFO...?  :? :? :? stumped
Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
so i got it to run, but will no longer idle, have to keep on the gas to keep it running,
 and will not rev up
 I pulled the kips valve cover, and watched it as I opening the throttle, and its moving,
but it moves all the way open one time, then only opens half way... and the engine wont rev beyond half the rpm range.
  Question
  What could be causing it to not rev up all the way?
  how do i fix it?

and maybe cause im on the side of the bike with the exhaust but i seem to be hearing a popping noise, (think its just usual noise but not sure, its with the combustion part of the cycle coming out the exhaust.)
Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 07:00:27 AM »
sometimes opened full and sometimes only half??  thats a sign, that the exhaust valves need a better look and lubricating for very soft operation if you pull the actuator by hand to full open... 

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
so pull the jug, and inspect them?
  then will i need new gaskets, and rings?

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
so pull the jug, and inspect them?
  then will i need new gaskets, and rings?

first remove only the pipe and governor-cover.  look into the exhaust and actuate the exhaust valve by hand. it has to be a smooth operating from close to full opening, if you pull on the little governor lever...
if you feel something is wrong, pull the cylinder and lubricate it with wd40 untill it makes a smooth operating of the exhaust valves .

i think the water had dried the oil out there and thats the reason for this problem... 

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »
i thought maybe the water might have played a role there. but how much ...pressure? or pull should it take with my fingers, garb it hard and pull, expecting sore fingertips, or should it/they move freely with the fingers. well ill check it tomorrow? and then since you didnt answer my question about gaskets and what not, can they be reused? or just get a new set just because the ones on there are 22yrs old and you have the jug off... think I just answered my own question.
 well then ill ask about the smaller gaskets i have read about people using, along with more compresion due to less room, what exactly is the gain from it? and the high compression head?
pros?
cons?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:36:33 PM by J.ellwanger »

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »
its always good to have a set of gaskets in spare...  old gaskets sometimes could be reused, but only, when it is not destroyed by pulling the jug...

if you check the exhaust valves you have to pull the rod and it has to go very smooth in and out ...

my first question is where do you use the bike??  higher compression can shorten the life of the bearings . the engine is harder to start without compression release...  better not to much changings if the engine was performing very well...

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
yes my engine was performing VERY well, so ill leave it alone for now, but the riding i do is mostly trails, the nasty trails,
  tight rocky, straight up hill,
 with very few track days,

but i did get inside the engine with a boroscope, and have a video for you guys, enjoy  :wink:

in through exhaust

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Jon_Ellwanger/media/DIGI0114_zpsa8e6e791.mp4.html

so in this video I have a few concerns

13 secs. kips open facing the front of bike on the left side we have the kips, open, and a pinhole at back

then @ 23 secs. in the video I'm not sure of if that's a chunk or port.

then my intake @ 39 secs.

in through spark plug hole

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Jon_Ellwanger/media/DIGI0116_zps7e705f61.mp4.html

but as far as i can tell my kips valves are opening all the way, by hand, and has smooth operation.just encrusted with carbon. and tried checking other things like my bridges, but had difficulty controlling the camera and where it pointed

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
for this terrains, where you ride you dont need more compression, because more compression not only makes more power. the engine becomes more aggressiv and makes on top a little bit less rpm than stock . this might be good for desert and deep sand, where you need to squeeze out any power the engine can make...  8-) i myself work on lowering the compression for more rideability on very short mx-tracks that we have here , because i will ride my k5 engine in the whole championchip next year . and sometimes are 4-5 hp less better to handle, as an aggressive 70hp- engine. thats the power, that a stock k5 is able to make with perfekt jetting, ignition timing and a good aftermarket-pipe...

back to your valves .looks like all is working in the right order, but you should clean it from the crusted carbon for the perfekt exhaust flow..   8-)

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »
. and sometimes are 4-5 hp less better to handle, as an aggressive 70hp- engine. thats the power, that a stock k5 is able to make with perfekt jetting, ignition timing and a good aftermarket-pipe...

back to your valves .looks like all is working in the right order, but you should clean it from the crusted carbon for the perfekt exhaust flow..   8-)

wow 70hp for just being tuned right...? hehehe uh oh.  :wink:
  cool, so just some wd40? and a rag to clean, should i pull the jug? just to avoid any carbon falling into the engine?
gonna have to get some gaskets

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56:35 AM »
65hp is what kawasaki says in the manual...  and with this little work on the bike, that not could be done to any production bike if it was builded in japan , it could be optimized

you could close the exhaust with the piston, but better pull the cylinder for better handling...

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »
really didnt want to pull it, but cant do it while attached, then I got an offer for a polish, so think im gonna go ahead and have the jug polished as well, so im pulling it. but the kips seem to closing to much, to the point the outer 2 exhaust ports (farthest from the main exhaust) are open when the kips are closed, my 125 im trying to fix now had a stripped kips gear,  could this be the case here? as far as not opening all the way under throttle, in the garage sitting still it revs up, but in gear it just wont do it.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
well the kips couldnt really be the case now could it, cause they operate by hand...