Author Topic: K5 motor clean up.  (Read 2388 times)

Offline kranker1450

K5 motor clean up.
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
I just got my donor motor out for my K5 conversion and it is pretty dirty. I power washed it before i took it out but it is really needs a good scrubbing. Any tips on cleaning it without having to disassemble the motor to get it cleaned? Any miracil chemical to use?  It was ridden in northern Minnesota in the old iron mine fire roads. The motor was rebuilt about 5 hours ago and looks good looking through the exhaust port but the outside needs some help. Thanks for the help.

Offline Pmcg

Re: K5 motor clean up.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
I used a dremel and a small steel wire wheel along with the buff pad.  Came out ok not great.  certainly an improvement over how it was.  I hear soda blasting is the way to go but dont think you would want to do it to a complete engine. 

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
Simple green to get the oil and dirt off and then Aluminum brightener you can get from Napa, let it soak and then rinse.
\
before

After
"Let there be light"

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »
Loco Cleaner(Locomotive) CUTS through the THICKEST OLDEST gunk,
  but not sure if its available through Napa or car stores, (...get it through my dads shop)
 I would think its available to general public but i may be wrong...  dilute it with water, o_0 3/4Gal. water 1/4Gal. Loco(<that still may be really strong but its what I mix...)
But I use it to clean my chain, before adding more wax, and the rear sprocket where that layer of gunk builds up below the chain, little on a  paper towel, wipes clean with minimal effort,  and the part where the exhaust connects to the muffler, the air box gets a NASTY film of oil the collects dirt, and just builds rather fast, and it all comes off the same way  its a great soap!! gets stuff clean, but I'm stingy with it, and use it for basically those two things, should scrap that iron dirt right off,  The Usual Spray, Soak 5 mins. then wipe, scrub, or what you will with what you have,
Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.