Author Topic: Kx500  (Read 9613 times)

Offline Ron

Kx500
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »
I started riding KDX220s 3 years ago but changed to KX500s (2003 and 2004) a year and a half ago because of my 250 lb weight.  I ride mostly single track 1 or 2 times a week all year round.  Is the old KX500 suspension really as bad as people say?  I've never ridden anything more modern for any length of time so I can't compare. I don't want to get a new 4 stroke and learn a new way to ride at my age (62) and I won't be satisfied with less power even though I never need usually need all the KX500 power. Is the any point in modifying the suspension for single track riding or just keep it as is? My KDX220s seem a more nimble but obviously don't have the same power.  They both weigh 220 lbs and are green.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: Kx500
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
i race an ´87 kx250 and the suspension works great.  all you really need are the right springs for your weight and the right adjusting of compression and release to your needs by riding.
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
Hey Ron.
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know what bad things people have been saying about the K5 suspension but, it is one of the most overlooked items.
Most people buy a new bike and the first thing they get is a new shiny pipe, a cool chain, hand grips, and some graphics.
In reality, the biggest difference is getting the suspension set up for your weight, riding style, and conditions.
You will go faster with less fatigue.
I'd recommend that you get the EMIG dog bones and have your suspension revalved and resprung.
Then set the sag correctly.
If your not racing in the latest Super Cross arena you will have all the suspension you will ever need.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Hey Ron.
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know what bad things people have been saying about the K5 suspension but, it is one of the most overlooked items.
Most people buy a new bike and the first thing they get is a new shiny pipe, a cool chain, hand grips, and some graphics.
In reality, the biggest difference is getting the suspension set up for your weight, riding style, and conditions.
You will go faster with less fatigue.
I'd recommend that you get the EMIG dog bones and have your suspension revalved and resprung.
Then set the sag correctly.
If your not racing in the latest Super Cross arena you will have all the suspension you will ever need.

fully agreed... :-)   and i know a guy that when he buys a new bike every year, he buys also all mods he can get before first ride ...  he doesnt know how good or bad the stock bike works... and now it comes: he rides his 2013 full mods-bike slower as i on my ´83 kx250 that only has my reedspacer-mod and this öhlins-shock istalled from one of the preowners :lol:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Ron

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »
I don't know how to do these things but I'm sure my mechanic who specializes in setting up racing suspensions will be able to do this.  He works from his house so his rates are less than bigger shops. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars per bike if that will do it.

While we're on the KX500 topic, does anyone have any tips on right boot preservation.
I like Alpine Star Tech 3 because they are cheap and comfortable.  Unfortunately I go through a couple of pair a year because the kick starter wears a hole in boot.  Once the hole is worn through and it's wet, starting becomes more difficult because the foot slips off.  Any ideas or is it just part of life with a KX500?  I don't want to buy expensive boots because I may end up with the same problem.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Get a compression release from Larry Weichman and that will not be a problem any more..
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6445.0.html
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Ron

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Thanks for advice. My priority will be suspension. Since I have 2 stock KX500s it should be easy to compare modified suspension to unmodified. 

While I'm at it, I have two similar KDX220s which my both my sons ride.  One KDX they like and the other KDX they hate.  My sons say the suspension sucks on one.

Looks like the coming days will be focused on suspension.  Hopefully I'll be a lot more knowledgeable and have better handling bikes.

Thanks again for help.

Ron

Offline turdle

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
I don't know how to do these things but I'm sure my mechanic who specializes in setting up racing suspensions will be able to do this.  He works from his house so his rates are less than bigger shops. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars per bike if that will do it.

While we're on the KX500 topic, does anyone have any tips on right boot preservation.
I like Alpine Star Tech 3 because they are cheap and comfortable.  Unfortunately I go through a couple of pair a year because the kick starter wears a hole in boot.  Once the hole is worn through and it's wet, starting becomes more difficult because the foot slips off.  Any ideas or is it just part of life with a KX500?  I don't want to buy expensive boots because I may end up with the same problem.

instead of getting new boots, take them to your local shoe repair, or send them to me :-D, and have themresoled.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:55:44 AM by turdle »

Offline Ron

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
I took my Alpine Star Tech 3 (with hole in right boot) to the cobbler.  He said it couldn't be repaired because the sole was part of the entire boot.

Offline Ron

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
I talked to my mechanic about my suspension, dog bones, reps ringing etc. and he agreed this was very important.

He also told me that he has set up both my bikes last year for trail riding for my height and weight. I guess I forgot.

Also he said KX500 has longer wheel base and grater rake than KDX220 therfore not as nimble in trails.

I am now more informed.

Offline ELRUKO

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
RON:   Get the compression release!  You need it before suspension at 62.  I know...

Offline Rock_93

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 02:25:23 AM »

Try SIDI's or Garnies  they have tougher soles. Also slowly pushing past the compression stroke before giving it a good kick will help.

I took my Alpine Star Tech 3 (with hole in right boot) to the cobbler.  He said it couldn't be repaired because the sole was part of the entire boot.

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
I spent my whole life riding with cheap boots tech 3 ect, believe me and everyone else... buying a good pair of boots is the best thing you can do for your feet.  you can buy a pair of tech 3s three times a year or a pair of sidi and have them for a decade... you pick? most if not all "pro" level boots have replacement parts, so you can replace the kickstart piece on the sole with just a few screws. a pair of nice boots is something you will never regret, not to mention there significantly more comfortable on the feet.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
I talked to my mechanic about my suspension, dog bones, reps ringing etc. and he agreed this was very important.

He also told me that he has set up both my bikes last year for trail riding for my height and weight. I guess I forgot.

Also he said KX500 has longer wheel base and grater rake than KDX220 therfore not as nimble in trails.

I am now more informed.

I felt the k5 is plenty nimble in the woods and that is woods single track.  The kdx always felt like a pig to me.  The k5 can also be a torque monster if set up right.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »
I felt the k5 is plenty nimble in the woods and that is woods single track.  The kdx always felt like a pig to me.  The k5 can also be a torque monster if set up right.

+1....I'll take my K5 in the woods over my 250 any day!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ