Author Topic: Need a clutch cover?  (Read 1470 times)

riverrunner

Need a clutch cover?
« on: December 11, 2004, 08:03:08 AM »
I just noticed there is a crack in my clutch cover on my K5. It's a 2000 k5 so if anybody has one please let me know. I can't afford a new one. Thanks, Chris Huie (Also lookinf for a unbent rear brake lever, hints the crack in the clutch cover)

Offline KXcam22

Need a clutch cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:30:02 AM »
Riverrunner,
 Try this stuff. It is an aluminum epoxy that you apply like brazing.  I have gotten very good results with this and seen some impressive case repairs - invisible with some polishing.  Here is a link www.aluminumrepair.com Neat stuff! Cam

Rick

Need a clutch cover?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 01:17:26 AM »
Yes, try the epoxy first.  You will be amazed at how well this stuff works.  I once built an entire case section behind the counter shaft sprocket on a KX250 when the bearing went bad and destroyed the case in that section.  Since all that section of the case does is hold in the oil (the bearing pocket was not damamged), there was no stress on the epoxy.  I just used a piece of shim stock cut in a circle, placed it on top of the new bearing, and built the "new case" on top of the shim stock.  Used a dremel to shape the epoxy.  Worked great!  I was even able to build a seal pocket.  After several years, still holding strong.  You will not need to do anything this radical, but it's a great example of what can be done with a creative mind and a supply of epoxy.

Good luck

Rick