Author Topic: 2000 KX500 Project  (Read 112681 times)

Offline Mohave

Re: 2000 KX500 Project
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
Try 15:43 guys...it works really well with the stock gearing. :-D

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Got a bit more done this weekend.  My home Depot draw bolt worked great on the swingarm bearings. 

I was going to get the swingarm powdercoated but I started to strip it and the aluminum looked pretty nice raw.  I plan on stripping the entire thing and seeing how it looks. 

I also started lapping the cases.  How much time do you spend on lapping.  If I hold my cases together by had and hold them up to the light I can still see a bit of light coming in by the crank. I dont want to take too much off but I feel like the amount of metal actually removed is minuscule 

And finally I would highly recommend Moo Thunder made by Farmhouse Ale for all your warm weather drinking needs. Its a delicious Stout that goes down smooth.  Easy to finish the 6 pack during a bearing removal session. 

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
I got the trans apart today.  I feel like there's a good chance I might even get it back together. 

All the gears look good and everything is in spec.  This was the only suspect gear what do you guys think?

The only other wild card is the clutch release bearings.  I know a few guys on here made their own but it seems like more than I want to get into on my screw lathe.  Does anyone know where I can buy just the collet as I already have a set its just not deep enough. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

I also started lapping the cases.  How much time do you spend on lapping.  If I hold my cases together by had and hold them up to the light I can still see a bit of light coming in by the crank. I dont want to take too much off but I feel like the amount of metal actually removed is minuscule  

I wouldn't want to see any light coming through on my cases...  :-o
When I lapped my cases I took Motorrads advice and put a bolt into one of the bolt holes, not tight but just enough to use it as a pivot point.
Then I worked the top case back and forth for a bit.
Then I moved the bolt to another location and worked it some more.
I moved the pivot bolt in a star pattern.
Each time I moved the bolt I applied more time saver..
When I was done I cleaned the cases and checked them out.... No gaps, extremely tight fit...
How much time should you take?
As long as it takes... :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
This was the only suspect gear what do you guys think?

I've seen worse but your into it this far, why not replace it?
On your cir clips, I would highly recommend that you replace them all...
I bought a KX500 cheap with a bad trans.... The only thing wrong was a cir clip was busted..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
sounds good I think I'll spend a bit more time lapping the cases then.  I did order all new c clips thanks.  Any ideas on the lower clutch release bearing?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
Don't know any one that makes them long enough  :cry:
You can make your own or you can drill a small hole underneath the bearing and use a punch to drive it out.
Then tig the hole..

Offline alward25

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
You can make your own or you can drill a small hole underneath the bearing and use a punch to drive it out.
Then tig the hole..

I have one :-D :-D :-D  Maybe I could start a loaner program??
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
When you come down next time... please bring it..
I'm in no hurry but I could use it...
Oh, and Christmas Valley this weekend..  :-D

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
Then tig the hole..

I have one :-D :-D :-D  Maybe I could start a loaner program??

If you wouldn't mind I would be happy to pay shipping.  I think I should need it for all of 30 seconds.

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »
I know oil is tougher to discuss than politics but I always ran Bel-Ray.  Reading through some old threads it would seem that Bel-ray isn't the best option. Any reccendations for the lower end oil?  Brand and viscosity?  I want to pre lube the tranny when I put it back together.

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
Good call by sandblaster on lapping until the cases are completely tight.  A few things I noticed were that my cases were cupped and I had to lap a good bit until the middle of the cases were tight.  You can tell the spots that are not connecting by the color of the lapping compound.  I mixed mine with a red atf making a pale orange color.   The spots on the cases that were making contact turned black right away and the spots that weren't were still orange.  I also tried several different application methods and found a large plastic syringe to be the way to go as there was minimal waste running down the side of the cases

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Great applicator idea...
I'll be using that in the future  :lol:

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
I have tons of them say the word and I'll send a few your way. 

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »
I know oil is tougher to discuss than politics but I always ran Bel-Ray.  Reading through some old threads it would seem that Bel-ray isn't the best option. Any reccendations for the lower end oil?  Brand and viscosity?  I want to pre lube the tranny when I put it back together.

my best experience i had with "motul transoil" it has also the right additives for a better clutch-working and thats important for bikes with much hp and torque, that the clutch never slip ...  :-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---