Author Topic: Fix that sloppy muffler mount  (Read 1388 times)

Rick

Fix that sloppy muffler mount
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »
I thought I would post this, but I would not be surprised to find that others had already worked the fix.  

After a couple of years, my muffler mounting holes had become pretty sloppy.  Since I had a little time on my hands, I fired up the handy wire feed with aluminum wire installed, and welded both holes closed.  One cooled, I used my verticle belt sander to flatten one side for drilling.  I started with a small bit, and worked my way to a 5/8 bit.  From there, I used a carbide cutter in my dremel  to open the hole up just a little more (the hole is smaller than a 3/4, but bigger than the 5/8.  Since I didn't have a bit in the middle, the dremel removed the little extra material needed to install the new rubber mounts.)

At the same time, I tossed the whimpy little rear mounting bracket (I've broken a few of these), and made a new one from 3/8 aluminum, polished to a mirror finish.  Since the new bracket does not cradle the rear rubber mount, I used a washer on the inside to keep everything secure.

Now my muffler will last at least another year.

Rick

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Fix that sloppy muffler mount
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 03:29:01 PM »
Rick, I must not be following you. The rear silencer or pipe mounts?