Author Topic: V force3 reeds on the dyno  (Read 6604 times)

Offline powerfreak88

V force3 reeds on the dyno
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:39 AM »
I recently switched my fmf gnarly woods and stock reed valve with boyesen dual stage for a vforce 3 and a pc2. I expected to feel a bit more power but all i really got was a bottom end that was a little less raspy. The bike seems to run a bit cleaner but thats about it. So i am wonering if anyone has had the vforce 3 on a dyno and compared them to the other setups. I wanted the vforce 2 but couldnt find any. Just wondering if there is any advantage with the v3 over the stock setup. I am hoping i didnt just throw away 140 bucks. Tried the search but couldnt find much. Thanks in advance- Freak
Too much power. Blah I've never heard of such nonsense. Twist the throttle and quit your whining.

Offline lsampson

Re: V force3 reeds on the dyno
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
The PC2 should have given it more top end kick by itself (relying on other peoples info). Is your jetting correct? I haven't got into reeds yet, but I know my Gnarly Desert make a huge mid-top difference over stock..
When in doubt, throttle out!

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
I think my jetting is pretty good. Im running a 168 main, 55 pilot and air screw 2 turns out. About 700 ft elevation. Not sure about the needle. It starts good and idles nice. Bottom end has always been a bit raspy but is not too bad and usually cleans up by the time i hit second gear. I was hoping to feel a decent power increase after switching from my old setup. I did feel a VERY slight improvement in the top end after ditching the gnarly but it is barely noticeable. I almost went with the gnarly desert but from what everyone says the pc2 makes the most power. Maybe I am just expecting too much from bolt on mods 
Too much power. Blah I've never heard of such nonsense. Twist the throttle and quit your whining.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:00:14 PM »
Like any "wallet bait" type bolt-ons, you will always get varied opinions as to if the mods truly add "gains".  I read mixed outcomes with V-Force reeds. Some say "my bike rips now" and some say "didn't notice squat" . Obviously a pro tuner with a dyno could extract some more hp , but IMO is it worth the cost ? Added dyno hp does not always equate to real world shorter lap times..

I bought my used '08 YZ125 with VF3's and I actually switched to stock first, now I have a good baseline, I plan on switching to the VF3's for comparison to draw my own conclusion.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
I also have the power now and boyesen super bowl on there too. The bike was bone stock when i got it other than the gnarly pipe. After 500 bucks worth of bolt ons it feels pretty much the same. Live and learn i guess. I think im going to save my pennies and send my suspension to factory connection or send my motor to pinsonault racing. That should be money well spent. Thanks for the input guys

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »
I also have the power now and boyesen super bowl on there too. The bike was bone stock when i got it other than the gnarly pipe. After 500 bucks worth of bolt ons it feels pretty much the same. Live and learn i guess. I think im going to save my pennies and send my suspension to factory connection or send my motor to pinsonault racing. That should be money well spent. Thanks for the input guys

you should have noticed a differance between the woods pipe and the PC2..     a big differance.

sure you had the woods garly and not the desert gnarly?      then there wouldnt be much differance.

Pinnsonault stage 2 port is reccomended to all (that arnt woods guys).   

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:21:42 AM »
Im sure it is the gnarly woods. It has the odvious bend that the desert does not. I still have it and would post a pic but to be honest I have never posted a pic online before lol. My computer skills are below average at best. Any way i did notice a difference. The gnarly falls on its face real quick while the pc2 seems to sighn off just a touch later. Just dont feel it was worth the 200 bucks. Maybe i would notice it a bit more if I did a back to back test. The bike sat all winter with the pc2 on it and it was like 6 months between trying each pipe. I dont want anybody to think I am bashing the pc2 because it has been proven to make more power than the gnarly. When i get some time i want to do an immediate back to back test then maybe it will be more odvious.

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:29 AM »
Im sure it is the gnarly woods. It has the odvious bend that the desert does not. I still have it and would post a pic but to be honest I have never posted a pic online before lol. My computer skills are below average at best. Any way i did notice a difference. The gnarly falls on its face real quick while the pc2 seems to sighn off just a touch later. Just dont feel it was worth the 200 bucks. Maybe i would notice it a bit more if I did a back to back test. The bike sat all winter with the pc2 on it and it was like 6 months between trying each pipe. I dont want anybody to think I am bashing the pc2 because it has been proven to make more power than the gnarly. When i get some time i want to do an immediate back to back test then maybe it will be more odvious.
I've always heard the PC2 made more power on the dyno, but have yet to see the dyno chart comparison. If it exists, which if someone ran the comparison I can't imagine it wouldn't, I wish someone would track it down so I could make a better educated decision.

As for V force 3 reeds, I bought a set, saw how they fit and sent them back. This was just my experience, but others I've talked to love them. Even if they make more power in a dyno test, I question their longevity based on the poor fit I experienced. The set V force3 reeds I received and test fitted, you have to get the dremel out to make them fit correctly which was a  deal breaker for me. Fresh oem reeds seem to work great, but maybe won't win the horsepower contest.

I'm also thinking about just putting a set of Boyesens on since I always had luck with those in the past. I just remember changing them out more often then oem when I was used to I used to put serious desert miles on my 250s.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »
I've always heard the PC2 made more power on the dyno, but have yet to see the dyno chart comparison. If it exists, which if someone ran the comparison I can't imagine it wouldn't, I wish someone would track it down so I could make a better educated decision.

As for V force 3 reeds, I bought a set, saw how they fit and sent them back. This was just my experience, but others I've talked to love them. Even if they make more power in a dyno test, I question their longevity based on the poor fit I experienced. The set V force3 reeds I received and test fitted, you have to get the dremel out to make them fit correctly which was a  deal breaker for me. Fresh oem reeds seem to work great, but maybe won't win the horsepower contest.

I'm also thinking about just putting a set of Boyesens on since I always had luck with those in the past. I just remember changing them out more often then oem when I was used to I used to put serious desert miles on my 250s.

same boat with my VF3.     took ALOT OF WORK to make them... still SUCK.

If I couldnt track down a set of VF2..

Id run a stock reed cage (with stuffer).   WITH A REED SPACER. as stock reed cage hangs into the boost port and blocks it       and either a set of carbon tech reeds.    or boysen super stock reeds (the carbon fibre ones)

Ive got the dyno somehwere tom.     Ill dig it out for ya.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:44:00 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
If I couldn't track down a set of VF2.

Id run a stock reed cage (with stuffer).   WITH A REED SPACER, as stock reed cage hangs into the boost port and blocks it. And either a set of carbon tech reeds or Boysen super stock reeds (the carbon fiber ones)
I have a question that may be a slight tangent here.  I've read that a reed spacer helps the low-end power, but how does it affect the top-end power?   :?

EDIT:

I found this in the reed spacer sticky post.

I wanted to consolidate the various tidbits of info on the reed spacer:

A reed spacer is one of the best mods going for the KX500 and makes a noticeable improvement in low to midrange power quantity and smoothness.  It is even better when combined with good jetting and aftermarket reeds such as the Vforce (or boysen dual-stage for cheapskates like me).

What it does:
   The reed spacer increases and focuses the power down lower in the powerband at the slight expense of top end power. The loss of top end is often not noticable.  Combined with reeds, this gave my bike the midrange bark I was looking for.

How it works (or at least as I understand it):
   The reed tips protrude slightly into the transfer port flow (up & down) at the rear of the cylinder, causing turbulence at the reed tips which impedes the intake flow at lower RPM.  The spacer pulls the tips back out of the flow. The increase in intake volume and length also tunes the power lower in the band.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:53:00 PM by Enginerd »

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »
No need to post a pic of your pipe, just check the numbers on the top mount flange towards the top front of the bike.
if the number ends in 38 is Gnarly desert
                             55 is Gnarly woods
just for future reference K15 Fatty woods
                                K15D Fatty desert
hope this helps
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »
does anyone have a pic of where the cerial numbers are? I just cleaned up the pipe and looked for them but had no luck. Im almost positive it is the woods but would like to double check

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Nevermind I found them. It ends in 55 so it is the woods. Im thinkin about selling it if anyone is interested and lives near syracuse,ny. I would ship it but never done that so dont really feel comfortable. Was going to ask like 80 bucks for it