Author Topic: Cometic Gaskets  (Read 6982 times)

Offline nirvanafan98

Cometic Gaskets
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
Has any one had a good experience with these gaskets ? I all ways buy original but every one is back ordered. Had bad experience with after market ones . Ordered a set from Cometic. Just wanted some opinions .
My choices are my voice. Was a little boy who dreamed of becoming Bob Hannah .

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
Re: Cometic Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
I've always used cometic gaskets and have never had any problems.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Thanks , just worried about quality , never dealt with them before .

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
Thanks , just worried about quality , never dealt with them before .

cometic blows oem out of the water.

I wont use ANYTHING besides cometic.   

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
Motorrad is right. All the shops I have worked at use Cometic unless the customer has requested another brand. I've never seen an issue throughout the 17 years I've been wrenching on bikes. Unless it's not properly torqued down.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
Cool , had after market especially on the head come apart , half on the head and half on the jug. Same with the base gasket .

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
They will do that when you tear the engine down. They aren't meant to be re-used at all. I miss the ol copper gaskets.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »
They will do that when you tear the engine down. They aren't meant to be re-used at all. I miss the ol copper gaskets.

many cometics are re-usable.   since they are MLS type gaskets..   (case gaskets, etc)        they are made by Spray coating a stainless steel piece...

Offline alward25

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
The best!
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
Cool , had after market especially on the head come apart , half on the head and half on the jug. Same with the base gasket .

Infact. in my motor right now...   the same base gaskets have been used 4 times.    on and off.     and the head gasket 3 times.

do that with a OEM gasket

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
i posted a few years back about a cometic kit that had the stud holes for the base basket in the wrong positions.  I prefer the Kawi base gaskets over anything else. I don't like the paper gaskets, had 1 too many blow out on a ride.  Otherwise, no complaints.

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
i posted a few years back about a cometic kit that had the stud holes for the base basket in the wrong positions.  I prefer the Kawi base gaskets over anything else. I don't like the paper gaskets, had 1 too many blow out on a ride.  Otherwise, no complaints.

cometic gaskets arnt paper.    athena ones are..    :?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
Yep, the only top end gaskets I sell are Cometic.
I sell a lot of them and never had a failure due to a bad gasket.
In every case where a customer complained (Not many) it was always improper installation or bad mating surfaces.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline cbrfrenzie

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »

cometic gaskets arnt paper.    athena ones are..    :?

I believe Cometic has a part number for a standard paper base gasket (or at least a NON AFM gasket) PN: B0036012F http://www.shopengineparts.com/productdetails.aspx?emid=782&cid=127&pid=10864&vtype=Dirt&make=Kawasaki&model=KX500+E3%2c+T2%2c+R2+-+%2891-04%29&type=model

Not sure why anyone would order this.... the one in the "kits" are the AFM gaskets (PN: B0036018AFM) here: http://www.shopengineparts.com/productdetails.aspx?emid=782&cid=127&pid=10862&vtype=Dirt&make=Kawasaki&model=KX500+E3%2c+T2%2c+R2+-+%2891-04%29&type=model

Maybe this will clear things up a little bit?   :-P

Offline alward25

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
You can get the gaskets cut out of whatever material u want
"Let there be light"