Author Topic: KX5 Resale Value  (Read 5646 times)

delusionised

KX5 Resale Value
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »
I see alot of kx500's be listing for way less than blue book, why is this? do kx5's not sell for what they are worth, I have a 2003 KX5 in absolute mint condition and its blue booked at 3,865. What would you sell it for? I would expect to see 3,500 for it. What do you guys think?, Just curious... thanks.

Rowdy-Yates

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:40:40 PM »
I had noticed the same thing about KX500. Why is this? People think it is too big??? I'm 5'6" and  Maybe when my son gets comfy on my 125 ill get a kx500. Used ones are cheap.

mikesmith

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:38:58 PM »
Where a small group (500 riders) so there just not the "in thing" making it hard to sell a 500 and get what its worth,but some good deals to be had on the buying side of it.

Offline machine

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:45:58 AM »
Maybe now that 04' is ythe last year, we might see them go up???

I know that I just got my 04' KX5 for $3696, and I don't plan on ever
gitting rid of it. That is unless they come out that a new KX5!!! :lol:

Offline Ramski

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:12:06 PM »
Your right.  The KX500 has terrible resale value since most see it as a desert racer only.  If I were in the market to buy a newer KX500, I would have jumped all over Destry Abbotts machine.  His last deal was a steal!  You couldn't get a sweeter bike.  On top of that, he was throwing in a complete extra frame!  Wish I had the money at the time.
Danny Lesovsky

Rick

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 01:42:37 PM »
Folks are just afraid of the big 500, so demand is low.  Last weekend, I spent more time on my sons 2005 KX250, and while it's fun to ride (with the best stock suspension I have ever felt), I feel like I'm riding an 80.  On top of that, 5th gear comes along way to soon, even with the new 48 tooth sprocket (I'm going to go with a 45 tooth this weekend just for giggles).

Interestingly enough, my 15 year old had a great time riding the 500 when we switched bikes.  His comment:  This thing has power everywhere.  Just twist the throttle and you go.  No clutch.  He now wants a 250 and a 500 (yea right).  

The good news is once you get the beast dialed in for corners and high speed, it's tough to find a better machine.

Rick

Minnetonka_Mark

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 05:10:05 AM »
I started looking for a KX500 in August of 2004.   I bought a barely ridden 2002 for $2500 in September.  Even though I bought one I've continued to closely watch the KX500 market.  I agree that the demand is very low.  I've followed numerous low price KX500 For Sale ads.  They are renewed month after month.  No buyers.  

I have a friend who's a walking, talking motorcycle authority. He sez that my KX500 is a great big obsolete bike that I should get rid of.  He can barely stand to look at it.  That same sentiment may be felt by many others.  

Personally, I like mine.  I plan to install a Magura hydraulic clutch, kickstand, and a UFO dual sport light kit (the version with flush mount turn signals).  I really, really want to update the seat and plastic.  It does look like a 1980's bike.  Kawasaki should have updated the styling years ago.  Since they did not update the styling the bike has a reputation of being completely (i.e. suspension, engine, etc...) unchanged since it was first introduced.  That is only partially correct.  In any case, motorcyle people are frequently technology fanatics.  As such they avoid anything with even a hint of obsolesence.

KX500 fanatics are a small group.

mikesmith

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 08:07:18 AM »
Congradulations on not being a "follower" and getting the BIG KX!The Ty Davis kit helps update the bike in looks,but its kind of fun to see peoples faces after they get smoked by a "great big obsolete bike",just ask Destry Abbott!

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 10:53:33 AM »
I think everyone I know has told me I'm nuts for riding a 500.  Even guys that used to ride them.  Most guys can't even start one.  They have a reputation as a hard to start death machine.  I'll admit that you have to know the correct starting technique, but I think it's like riding a pussy cat.

Last weekend I took mine camping at a cabin with my wife's cousins and uncles as they prepared for deer season.  They're ages (maybe 12 of them) are 27-55 or so and all of them have had dirtbikes, though now they're all quad heads.  They're also all tough blue collar types and I'm a cushy stockbroker.  I told them all if they could start it they could ride it.  Three tried.  All failed.  I get it going with one kick if it's warm.  They all try to leg kick it like you would a 125. :D   I use the full body kick and she fires right up.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Ramski

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 11:40:17 AM »
In my opinion, the only people that can bash a KX500 are the squids out there.  Anyone who knows dirt bikes will tell you the KX500 didn't last as long as it did for nothing.  When it comes to desert racing, there is NO OTHER bike out there that can match it!  In recent years, I don't know of any other bike that has overalled a National Hare & Hound besides a Team Green KX500, Russ Pearson YZ450 or Ty Davis and his YZ426s.  You'll still see KX500s in the desert for many more years.
Danny Lesovsky

Rick

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 09:30:17 AM »
Heck, I even like it in the woods.  A lot of folks have switched to the 4 strokes, but I get more power with less weight.  On top of that, it's cheaper to fix, and requires lots less maintenance.

Mark, I switched to the Zipty kit with the KX250 shrouds, a 1993 KX250 rear fender, and before the end of the year will have the new style front fender.  I get a lot of double takes from folks who think it is a KX250 until I kick big green to life.  No other bike shakes the ground like a big 500.

Way too much fun...

Rick

Torch654

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 08:25:01 PM »
I just thought I would dig this thread up and add my 5c. I don't really care if people think it is "obsolete looking", I am still trying to come to terms with liquid cooling and upside-down forks. However I only think of this as I pass a new 4 stroker and think of him how uncomfortable it must be to be sitting on the gas cap. :shock:

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 03:18:31 AM »
I hope to pick up a newer 500 next year. I have been watching prices on e-bay and you can get a sweet 01-02 500 for under 2500.00.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 03:58:36 AM »
Maybe it looks like an old bike, maybe its too big, maybe the resale value is low, maybe it is too much power, I am going to keep mine and I would like to buy a second one.
 When I unload the bike on a Saturday morning at a staging area, people say things like, wow, why dont you buy a modern four stroke? ,Wow why would you buy a bike that has no national class to race in ? Why would you buy that big of a bike? THEN at the end of the day while loading up the bike, all those that have been  roosted say,  That bike kicks butt, or that bike flys, That bike is untouchable fast. It only take a little demonstration to get people to see just why I own one. ( or two hopefully)
  The bike is overkill on tight single tracks, but with a little throttle control it works just fine. I paid $4,600 for it , August of 2004. It was worth every bit of that. I just wish Michigan riding season was a little longer, I think I will only be riding for a few more weeks, then I will be waxing the skis for winter.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 08:40:39 AM »
You need to move further down south. We ride year round. It just gets a little muddy in the winter months.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com