Author Topic: Here's the story!  (Read 10150 times)

Offline kxpegger

Here's the story!
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »
I posted about this a while back. The water pump spur gear broke off the crankshaft. I thought that the crank could be repaired by just replacing the spur gear. In addition to the spur gear being broke off I discovered the main bearing was shot on the same side and it really did some damage to the crank. By the time I would have sent the crank off for repair it was about the same costs as buying a new one! I'm convinced that the bad main bearing is what caused the spur gear to break off. Collateral damage was some scoring on the cylinder and piston from overheating. I had a spare new piston and cylinder and bought a new crank. All this because of a bad bearing! Engine had probably less than 120 hours on it

The engine is rebuilt now and back in the frame! Thought I'd go through the rear chassis and found some problems there too but have been fixed. Still waiting on a few parts. Can't wait to get the beast running again and thinking about maybe showing up for the next Kalifornia run!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:21:39 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Here's the story!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
Anyone else having problems seeing the pics?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
I see nothing.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Anyone else having problems seeing the pics?

no.. because I fixed them            :lol:

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
wasnt this a service honda built motor?

what kind of bearings were in it?

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »

Yes, it was built by Service Honda but I don't blame them. They were stock Kawasaki bearings, Koyo.

Sorry about the pics! PhotoBucket has made a lot of changes lately and when I copied the pics for the link they didn't include the Img code for some reason. Also PhotoBucket now defaults to there own pic size for links and making the images original size or of reasonable size is now an option you have to select when uploading pics. I'll do a better job next time or find a better host site! PhotoBucket used to be pretty good...

Thanks Motorrad!
North Las Vegas

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Yes, it was built by Service Honda but I don't blame them. They were stock Kawasaki bearings, Koyo.

Sorry about the pics! PhotoBucket has made a lot of changes lately and when I copied the pics for the link they didn't include the Img code for some reason. Also PhotoBucket now defaults to there own pic size for links and making the images original size or of reasonable size is now an option you have to select when uploading pics. I'll do a better job next time or find a better host site! PhotoBucket used to be pretty good...

Thanks Motorrad!

no worries.   happy to fix any future pics also.

speakign of which.

Im interested in the layout of the Service honda cooling system..    as all the old pics on the site are lost...

Ive decided to route my cooling system in parallel......  to see if It cools better.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »

Thanks Motorrad!

no worries.   happy to fix any future pics also.

speakign of which.

Im interested in the layout of the Service honda cooling system..    as all the old pics on the site are lost...

Ive decided to route my cooling system in parallel......  to see if It cools better.

I've been known to ride in 110 plus here in Vegas. The Service Honda routing never gave me any problems. The beer drinking afterwards was sometimes a problem! :-D
North Las Vegas

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »

Thanks Motorrad!

no worries.   happy to fix any future pics also.

speakign of which.

Im interested in the layout of the Service honda cooling system..    as all the old pics on the site are lost...

Ive decided to route my cooling system in parallel......  to see if It cools better.

I've been known to ride in 110 plus here in Vegas. The Service Honda routing never gave me any problems. The beer drinking afterwards was sometimes a problem! :-D

sounds like my kind of problem   :-D :-D

Mine doesnt boil over.  but Id like to get it running cooler..  for the only reason of getting away with more  :evil:    

Offline brooksie

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
I intend to replace the bearings every sixty to eighty hours. Something to be aware of, excessive side clearance on the big end will shorten bearing life if the conrod doesn't snap first!

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
I intend to replace the bearings every sixty to eighty hours. Something to be aware of, excessive side clearance on the big end will shorten bearing life if the conrod doesn't snap first!
Left side bearing was good although the main seal was starting to go. The big end and small end conrod bearings were still good and side play acceptable. The right side bearing was shot for reasons unknown? I think it was just a bad bearing from the factory. I would expect 200 plus hours minimum on the crank unless you're riding style on a 500 is certifiable (maniac!).
North Las Vegas

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Left side bearing was good although the main seal was starting to go. The big end and small end conrod bearings were still good and side play acceptable. The right side bearing was shot for reasons unknown? I think it was just a bad bearing from the factory. I would expect 200 plus hours minimum on the crank unless you're riding style on a 500 is certifiable (maniac!).

When I pulled mine last month (crank seal).     my bearings looked PERFECT.   and they had TONS AND TONS of miles on them......

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
I was going to ask you about that.
I assume you replaced everything just to be safe?  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
I was going to ask you about that.
I assume you replaced everything just to be safe?  :-)

why would you put a bearing back in... that you massivly axial loaded from splitting cases      (our main bearings ARE NOT designed to be axial loaded)    reason Im such a stickler on the freeze heat method, vs the "pull em in" motion pro tool method..

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »
Thanks!
I was wondering about that.
Now I don't have to ask  :-D