Author Topic: trans problems  (Read 3853 times)

Offline wierdo

trans problems
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
I have just got my motor back from having the oil drain hole rewelded ( cracked)  i had to remove the cylinder, head, clutch pack, and a few other things to get under couriers weight limits. i have reinstalled all these things put fresh oil in, fired up on 2nd kick, let it warm up, went for a light warm up ride down the road, got into top gear and it wouldn't go down in the gears. so i stopped the motor and tried to get the gear lever to go down the gears by hand it was very notchy and  clunky  at one point the gear lever just flopped up n down like there was no gears at all, found neutral fired it back up and rode home, it got stuck in top gear again.
I had the motor overhauled less than 4 months ago and all was fine until i got it back this time.
does anyone know whats happening here?

Offline cmotodad

Re: trans problems
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
You might need to check the shift shaft spring. Possibly came off the pin and is not putting spring load on the shift drum dogs. It is located behind the cluth below kickstarter mechanism on the shift shaft

Offline wierdo

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »
OK.. that sounds logical, it does feel like there was no tension on the gear shift lever..thanks mate,

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
I also had this problem some time ago. definitely it is the little spring on the shift shaft. make sure it is properly installed and the problem is gone.   :-D
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:21:01 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline wierdo

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
thanks guys thats fixed that problem, but now i have a new one. when i got the bike going the first time after reassembly it started perfectly revved nice etc. this time after the spring was fixed i took it down the road to warm it up on the way back i gave it a couple of bursts up to top gear and it went real nice until it started back firing and then died. luckily only 50 meters from home.
i got back home and pulled the carby apart as i pulled the bowel for a second i thought the float was sticky. checked the carby boot, reed boot bolts, head nuts and cylinder base nuts, all good
again any ideas? 

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:12:52 AM »
my first inclination would be to say you have a bad spark plug, have you checked for spark? sometimes they will spark but not under compression. if it isn't that you have more serious problem, stator or CDI
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline wierdo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
thanks  Don you were real close, it turned out to be a sheared flywheel key. seems all the little small things that could go wrong are going wrong, hopefully there isn't any more left.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
Hey,
  Like you said you were close to home and didn't spend lots of $'s and too much time.   
The first time this was brought to my attention my best friend spent $300.00 replacing his whole electrical system. He found the flywheel key when he went to replace the stator and flywheel.... Live and learn...( And 'bout wore a hole in his riding boot) :|
  We were told to lap the flywheel to the crank and he never sheared another key.
Hang in there!
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline wierdo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
yeah if wasn't for Don i would be heading down the stuck closed float valve route and waste alota time, which in my reckoning would have caused a lean out whilst in top gear and on the gas. Not good.... :cry: