Author Topic: KX 500 Flat on Mid and top end  (Read 29215 times)

Offline lsampson

Re: KX 500 Flat on Mid and top end
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »
One more thing, is the stator woodruff key seen simply by removing the left cover, or how would I go about that?
When in doubt, throttle out!

Offline lsampson

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
Well Boys And Girls, I Rode The K5 And It Ran Like A Raped Ape! I Noticed When I Put Her Back Together That The Reed Cage Was Installed Upside Down(The Arrow Was.up) So Between The Valves, Old Fuel, Reeds, And Top End, Something Did The Trick!

But....

I Did Notice That WIth The New weisco Piston, It Rattles Alot At Idle. During Insallation, I Checked The Ring End Gap And It Was Within Specs (0.030"). Do Wiseco Pistons Slap At Idle Until They HeaT Up? It Did Quiet Down Some Once It Was WarM, But It Was Still Present. Thanks Gents.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Hmmmm.
For a stock set up you are .002" past the service limit:
1987-2004 New .15-.35mm or .006-.014" Service limit .7mm or .028"
I know Motorrad had some problems with getting rings from Wideco that were in spec.
Sounds like that hasn't changed any.
The rattle.... I'm wondering if you could use the kipps bolt mod....
I know my bike needed it after I put in a new piston.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
What was your piston wall clearance..

End gap should be half that..   Makes me think hole is too big...   So loose piston wall.  Thus. Rattle

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
Thats why they call them Wideco now   :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline lsampson

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Sorry, I Meant .30 mm

Offline lsampson

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
As For Piston Clearance, I Totally Forgot To Measure That. Oops!.I Think I Will Tear It Back Down. The Rattle Is Pretty distracting. I Did Do The Kips Bolt Mod.

Motorrad

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
As For Piston Clearance, I Totally Forgot To Measure That. Oops!.I Think I Will Tear It Back Down. The Rattle Is Pretty distracting. I Did Do The Kips Bolt Mod.

kips are noisy anyways.

listen to this one rattle.    and I can GARONTEE its right.  (beyond right).  its shimmed,  machined, etc to perfect.

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Motorrad/media/DSCN1214_zpsa8f1783a.mp4.html

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
Man, that thing is crisp....

Offline lsampson

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
Ill have To Listen To It Tomorrow, My Phone Is Jacked Up. The Rattle Is LoUd, Louder Than The Exhaust (At Idle)

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
Man, that thing is crisp....

the sound of a perfekt 2 stroke motor...  :-D
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline lsampson

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »
Motorad, after listening to that clip, it is the same sound, but mine is louder, and I only noticed it after the rebuild, which i suspect is because I switched from a stock to a wiseco piston. I am not sure what to do. The rattle annoys me, so I'm leaning on replacing the new wiseco with a new OEM piston and rings.  Is there any chance that when I cleaned up the exhaust valves I gave them more slop and they are whats rattling? What would you guys do?

Motorrad

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:50 AM »
Motorad, after listening to that clip, it is the same sound, but mine is louder, and I only noticed it after the rebuild, which i suspect is because I switched from a stock to a wiseco piston. I am not sure what to do. The rattle annoys me, so I'm leaning on replacing the new wiseco with a new OEM piston and rings.  Is there any chance that when I cleaned up the exhaust valves I gave them more slop and they are whats rattling? What would you guys do?

the clean valves will rattle.

if its the same sound as the video.   its not piston.  (there is no piston to be heard in that video).   that is 100% kips ratte.

Mine is quieter than most due to all the work I have done to them.

Offline lsampson

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
what kind of work can I do to quiet mine down? The valves seem good (no excessive wear), but I can move the center valve flapper up and down with the exhaust pipe off. Is that where the rattle is? Do you guys typically use OEM pistons? I just don't want to pass it off as ok and have to rebuild the top and bottom end of the bike because I messed something up :?

Motorrad

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 06:32:48 AM »
Do you guys typically use OEM pistons?:?

That is a hotly debated topic depending on who you ask.

ask me.   Forged only goes back in my bikes.  

what kind of work can I do to quiet mine down? The valves seem good (no excessive wear), but I can move the center valve flapper up and down with the exhaust pipe off. Is that where the rattle is? :?

when you say you can move it up and down...   how much we talking? 6" or ?

do you have any tension on the kips acuator rod  (via the kips arm) ?    there should be some tension on the system.

There is lots of work that can be done    mine for example, are Re-shaped on the flow areas,  the ramp angle is messed with on mine.,     roughly .030" taken off the top's  to pull them higher in the cyl,  and everything is shimmed to perfection.. kips acuator rod re-cut,  run a differant kips arm for better leverage and ratio for kips bolt mod,  as well as a "messed with" kips drum (spring shim stack etc))...   Im sure somone will post a link to my motor thread.  :roll:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:39:33 AM by Motorrad »