Author Topic: Truck  (Read 11638 times)

Motorrad

Truck
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
what ya guys think?

Not sure about the lift gate etc.     truck is way too clean to have been a WORK truck.      more like a vending machine guy or somthing...

thinking I could take off the lift gate etc.. and sell it to re-coup some $$

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3713025161.html

Offline don46

Re: Truck
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
I have a couple of friends that had them,keyword had. Wouldn't have the older ford either, I had several ford 7.3, they were great trucks.  The 6.5 didn't have much in the way of power either. I did try to by a duramax but we couldn't come to terms, so I bought another Ford, so I guess I'm a ford guy.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
I have lots of experiance with the detroit motor.   They were in LOTS of the fleet (bus)  at the school district that my Fater was HEAD of transportation  (incharge of the fleet)..

so it doesnt scare me.. I know its ins and outs...

if you dont treat it like the modern diesels (try to tow a house)  they live forever.

The only reason Im considering it... is its price point.

In all acuality.   Im looking at 5.3L chevys  (short bed, 4 door, or 4 suicide door type)   4x4...

as it will do everything I need it to at the moment.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
You can't beat the price dude!! 
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
I have a lift gate on my truck.  You will wonder why you did not get one sooner.  Plus, loading a couple of bikes after a long day is much nicer tooo :-D :-D
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
I have a lift gate on my truck.  You will wonder why you did not get one sooner.  Plus, loading a couple of bikes after a long day is much nicer tooo :-D :-D

I was actually starting to think the same thing.    Mostly about loading my tricycles

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
crap... another nice one........  (more of exactly what I was looking for too.    5.3L 4door, short bed 4x4. and its not all "bro'ed" out.    (lift, stickers, wheels etc).   I want a STOCK truck

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ctd/3653779157.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:43:48 PM by Motorrad »

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
My daily driver, a 74 W200 cab on a 89 Cummins chassis, intercooled, Gear Vendor O/D.  20-22mpg on the highway.  Love the lift gate and all the crap i can stuff on the flatbed!!!!

"Let there be light"

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
I like the 2003 better and even more if it was a ford.

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »

you can keep the Ford.

I wont get into the Gritty details.

But mostly..

I dont like the way they drive (feel)      of the steering,  etc etc.

and alex.

If I could find a decent Cummins truck,  with a manual trans  (dont get me started on dodge auto's)    extra cab,  short bed.   4x4. without 300,000 miles       for under a small fortune

Id be on it like...             

Offline alward25

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
if a torqueflight is built right, mine is a 727 and never given me a problem.  Got one in my motorhome too.  I will keep an eye out for you.
"Let there be light"

Offline alward25

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:48:43 PM by alward25 »
"Let there be light"

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »

you can keep the Ford.

I wont get into the Gritty details.

But mostly..

I dont like the way they drive (feel)      of the steering,  etc etc.

and alex.

If I could find a decent Cummins truck,  with a manual trans  (dont get me started on dodge auto's)    extra cab,  short bed.   4x4. without 300,000 miles       for under a small fortune

Id be on it like...             

I agree about the stering fords do feel very sluggish to me compared to chevy.

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
If you made it to this site because you appreciate the quality of Japanese engineering/manufacturing, and you don't need something really heavy duty, why not look to the Tundra? You will pay way more, but there is a reason. I was a master technician when I was younger and made a lot of money on American trucks. The little Japanese work trucks on the other hand seemed like all they ever needed was one quart of dirty oil and they would last forever. I was always amazed by this. When I got out of engineering school I would go on long surf trips down in Baja Mexico where I would put about 2,000 miles on my rig per trip. We're talking dirt roads, heat, sand, etc. When it came time to pull the trigger on a new truck, I went for the Toyota and couldn't have been happier. Not one problem in 130,000, get 60,000+ miles out of tires, 60,0000 + on front  brakes, no rattles, and has never left a drop of anything on my driveway. I tow a 21 foot daycruiser a few thousand mile every summer in the Arizona/Nevada desert heat.

Now, my old lady wants a BIG Lance Camper, and I'm terrified about having to buy a diesel truck. Won't touch the Ford, two friends of mine have the Duramax/Allison blues, and the Dodge seems like the engine will run forever, but everything else of questionable quality. Maybe I'll hold out until the Japanese trucks hit the diesel market, but I only have another two years until I will need another truck.

Offline alward25

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »
Tundras are great trucks.  I just wish they could figure out a way to get better mileage.  For what they cost, that is my biggest hang up with them.
"Let there be light"