Author Topic: Gas Mileage?  (Read 5879 times)

dezracer

Gas Mileage?
« on: October 27, 2004, 05:30:54 AM »
What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting on the KX500? I rode about 30 miles of single track and burned around 4 gallons of gas.  Granted I spent most of the day in 2nd gear.  Is this normal?  My motor is pretty much stock with the usual aftermarket reeds, pipe and silencer.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Gas Mileage?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 05:54:04 AM »
I can normally make it a full day of mainly WOT before running out of gas. Assuming I'm on a full tank when starting.

mikesmith

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:15:50 AM »
That sounds pretty bad to me,Id check my jetting (as Gowen can tell you jetting on the 500 is the best bang for the buck,but you have to spend some time on it as temps/humidity and altitude change) and your float level(I run mine a few mm higher than the book suggest)also I made a home made "power now" wich helped a lot.

dezracer

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 07:24:18 AM »
I started with the Team green specs and went from there with the jetting.  Right now its set at:

55 pilot
2nd clip position
168 main

Runs like a champ, a little bit of spooge.  I think it may have just been the terrain.  It took us almost 3 hours to go 25 miles.  Nasty stuff, but the 5hundo shined. :)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Gas Mileage?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 03:47:10 PM »
dezracer, 25 miles and 3 hours is still pretty bad milage no matter the condition. But, specs or not I am at a 38 pilot and a 148 main jet and don't even remember the needle. But, if you work with the jetting, you'd be amazed at the diffrence in power.. Hell I thought my KX was pretty d**n fast , and every time I made a jetting change thought that was it. But, about a year later I'm out and about.

Offline KXcam22

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 02:29:30 AM »
Dezracer,
   Like Gowen, on medium speed single track I can do a full day on a tank, anywhere from 60 to100 miles, 1st to 4th stuff but too narly for too much WOT.  Mine is jetted really nice and crisp, 55p 165main at 1100-6000'.  Depending on your elevation and riding type going smaller from the stock 168 makes a nice change in throttle response at 3/4 and up.  Cam.

dezracer

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 04:48:45 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I think I'm going to check the float level and adjust it if necessary.  Anyone know what the specs are for the float level? It's a 97. The bike runs strong and has great throttle response.  I think the jetting is close to where it needs to be, maybe drop a size on the main jet.  If that doesn't work than I'll have someone else take a look at it.  Thanks :D

Offline KXcam22

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 10:42:09 AM »
Dezracer,
  Look in the jetting thread.  I put a detail of an easy way to set it using an piece of fuel line. Cam.

Offline KXcam22

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 02:23:01 AM »
Dezracer,
  I had a thought last night on possibly why some K5's might get poor mileage.  I have run my float both high and low and didn't notice any performance difference.  What I did notice with a high float, when riding in gnarly stuff, was the amount of gas that comes out the carb overlfow.  With a high float level, my bike would piss out a bit of gas everytime it was not perfectly horizontal (ie, when it's leaned against a tree so you can help your buds climb the hills you waltz up, and even on the ride/climb itself).  This could amount to a small but significant amount of gas over the course of a long ride.  I think I might test this sometime - set it high and put a beer can on my overflows before a big ride.  Whatever you do don't mention this to the EPA or the California guys will have to have a govt. certified float level calibration sticker (more $$) to ride. Cam.

Rowdy-Yates

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 09:57:19 AM »
Cam SHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont give them any ideas here in CA. My float level right now is high. If I lean my bike on anything the gas will pour out. So I am guessing you probably found the answer. Oh btw I could not find your post on using the fuel line. I really want to do this. I need to lower my float level just a little.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Gas Mileage?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 11:54:40 AM »
Under the sticky of jetting again and again

mikesmith

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 06:28:53 PM »
I KNOW the float level helped mine as far as milage AND blubbering in the rougher stuff,thats why I said to raise it a few mm higher than spec.

dezracer

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 03:11:31 AM »
I had to go out of town this last weekend and I'm still trying to get over the withdrawls from not riding.  :shock:  I think sometimes I take the fact that I can leave from my garage for granted.  I'm going to adjust the float level tonight and then give it a wirl on Wednesday.  Does anyone have a spec for the float level?  I was thinking somewhere around .65-.75 inches.  Ofcourse I'll double check before I do it.  Thanks for the help. :)

Offline KXcam22

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 02:40:38 AM »
Dez,
  Here's an excerpt. An easy method I use to set mine is to (with the carb on the bench) put a piece of spare fuel line on and blow (used fuel line tastes bad) into it while tipping the carb back with the float pivot pointed up. When the air flow stops, that is your float level. On the KX the rib in the center of the float should be parallel (or almost) to the carb body but not past. You will find this matches the stock specs.  I typiclly run mine a touch low (almost parallel) so it doesn't leak gas when I lean it on my kickstand or a tree.  Cam.

Rick

Gas Mileage?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 09:45:32 AM »
I agree, I run mine a little low for the same reason.  Pushing sucks...

Rick