Author Topic: Ride height  (Read 3235 times)

DrMojo

Ride height
« on: March 17, 2003, 04:37:40 AM »
Hello all......

I am a little on the shorter side of height scale at 5'7'' and can manage the KX500 well at the moment.  But, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to lower the ride height by one inch or so and how to do it.  This would allow me to at least manage the bike a little better when I go to start it.

Is this a good idea?     :)

Thanks!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Ride height
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 04:54:42 AM »
Check with Pro Circuit, I know they make different pull-arms for the lower shock linkage.

Rick

Ride height
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 11:03:57 AM »
If you set your static sag, and then check your race sag, you might find that your spring is way too stiff for your size.  At about 1 inch static sag, you should have about 4 inches of race sag (I posted the details of how to measure in an earlier post).  My guess is that once you set your static sag, your not going to get anywhere close to the proper race sag, which means your spring is too stiff.  If so, swap springs, and your ride height will improve.

However, if you are, uh, errr, big boned, and your race sag is right with the proper static sag, the pull arms are going to be the way to go.  You will also need to drop the front forks in the tripple clamps in order to maintain any kind of steering angle (depending upon how much you lower the rear).

Good luck.

Rick

DrMojo

Ride height
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 02:46:46 PM »
Rick,

Thanks for the input.  I am not "big boned"..... at 5'7" and 160lbs, the KX tends to "KiX my ass".  So, I guess possibly, the rear spring is set too stiff for my size.  I will try to make the adjustment as you noted. 8)

Thanks,
Al