Author Topic: BRAPPPPPP in Seattle  (Read 6846 times)

Offline supergenius

BRAPPPPPP in Seattle
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:38 AM »
Hi guys...  First bike in years. An old Honda guy, couldn't say no to this thing for what I got it for.
Really like the KX platform so far!

My Low dollar 96 KX 250 build :O)

AS I got it:

Little cleanup:

Cleaned up new graphics and some upgrades as she sits now (Waiting on my White side plates to come in).

Bought the bike from a buddy running but a bit rough needing some little s**t done, but a very healthy reliable green bean:O)  It was a back up bike that was just sitting in his back shed... Hed been trying to get me to go riding with a group of our friends for a while... So told me If I didn't come get it he was going to dump it off in my driveway. Well, he did. LOL. It already had a FMF fatty gold pipe on it and came with a New paddle tire as well. Rear wheel bearings were SHOT, changed them out... Did a quick half-ass tear down of it, and went from there.
Replaced the Airfilter, Grips, Clutch lever ASSy and the front brakes didnt work worth a f**k since the MC needed to be rebuilt so I got a 50 dollar CRF 450 Front Brake assy with ASV lever off EBAY for 50 bucks... WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Whoever had it before him had dropped the rear sprocket a tooth or 2 as well.

Bike already had a FMF Fatty Gold pipe on it. Pipe had a bunch of big dents in it, so I welded the small side up and pressurized it to 50 PSI and blew the dents out with MAP gas. While it was off, since the motor had GOOD compression, figured Id just look at the skirts through the port . They looked great. Powervalve seemed to be nice and clean... Guy that rode it last said it was alot of fun (was a spare... HE said it was super reliable)

At that point was time to start her up. Ran fine on the choke but not off it, took the carb apart and brake clean and blew the f**k out of it. Looks new, runs like it too... whenit was off, saw some nice carbon fiber reeds in it too  :O)

Just put a graphics kit on it and a new seat cover... Replaced the clutch cable and its fducking LEGIT, runs SUPERB and is alot of fun.

Just need to go through the forks and respring it. Im big (250)

This video is just firing it up since it was nice today. Decided to go rip it to an AA meeting a couple miles away LOL... Shes smokey since its barely off the choke, but the bike starts in 2 kicks bone cold and 1 or 2 every time when its warm... Only thing left going on it thats not there now is I bought some White side coers since the left one is f**ked up.

Dollar for dallar couldnt possibly beat it  :O)

Build cost:
• $500     1996 KX250 K with FMF gold fatty pipe, boysen reeds and a  paddle tire.
• $30   Air filter
• $50    2007 CRF 450 Master cylinder with ASV lever
• $17  Clutch cable
• $20   Rear wheel bearings
• $9  Grips 
• $15   Clutch lever and perch
• $50     Answer  SA 2 pro spark arrestor
• $27  Gripper Seat cover
• $39  Graphics kit
• $3  Fuel vent tube

Id really like to have the grunty 96 motor in a new KXF frame  :O). For a 2 smoker its got killlller low end. Lots of fun.

Little startup vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNynFb_4oB0

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: BRAPPPPPP in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »
Welcome to the site......I installed a 2001 CR250 front brake assembly with a steel braided line on my kx500......Thats CR style routing of the brake line and the Honda master cylinder make a huge difference over the Kawi setup.  Keep us informed on all the progress you make to your ride.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:37 AM »
Welcome to the site.
Nice find and refurbish.
Nice details.
Usually we have to drag it out of new members  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
Welcome supergenius....nice lookin 250!.Good call with the white number plates :wink:...too much black on the sides.
What silencer is that you're running?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline supergenius

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Its an ANSWER products SA-PRO 2 (Answer used to make a s**t ton of exhaust stuff). Works and sounds pretty d**n good... Doesnt take a whole lot out of the bike at all. Have a shorty I made too out of the OEM silencer (End was f**ked up so i measured out a FMF shorty, and cut this one to length, perforated the inner core a bit more repacked it and let her rip.,  It sounds AWESOME and is notably better than stock or the SA when it comes on the pipe.

Have another Answer Spark arrestor too, ran around the block on it 1 time but just didnt like how it looked. Its like brand new (Seriously warmed up the bike and rode it around the block). I dont need 3 Mufflers...  LOL Bought it for 139, s**t Id sell it for like 80 shipped.

Its really nice and both are built really well... I just like how the one on it looks better :O)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Ok thanks..was'nt sure....I do like the way the one looks that's on it in the video.
I'm doing a complete rebuild on a 2000 250,and I've been tossing around the idea of trying out one of  the European exhausts,if I can get one shipped over here for a fair price.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
i use a full DEP exhaust on my 97 kx when i ride the 250 engine. it has evolved over the years as the exhaust with the best performance.gives smooth powerband with more torque from bottom and in the middle and ends up just a little stronger than stock pipe.
DEP -pipes come from UK. maybe there are also dealers for in U.S. 

here you can see my 97 with 360 engine and also riding with the 250 engine at local race.  8-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don΄t fear death or devil. ;O)
΄83 kx250, ΄87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ΄93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »
i use a full DEP exhaust on my 97 kx when i ride the 250 engine. it has evolved over the years as the exhaust with the best performance.gives smooth powerband with more torque from bottom and in the middle and ends up just a little stronger than stock pipe.
DEP -pipes come from UK. maybe there are also dealers for in U.S. 

here you can see my 97 with 360 engine and also riding with the 250 engine at local race.  8-)

I like the DEP pipes,always heard nothing but good things about them over the years...but,I'm looking for a little "bling" with the silencer part of it :-D,and DEP only has aluminum silencers listed.
Not sure if we have any Australian members on here,or anyone that has any experience with BUD Racing...but the carbon fiber is what I've been looking into....like this one.

http://www.budracing.com.au/files/products/index.asp?shop=performance&category1=Exhaust%20Systems&category2=&category3=Silencer%20carbon%20fibre%202%20stroke%20-%20BUD&pro_detail=yes

Offline supergenius

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
White sides came in today. Im in it uynder 800 and some elbow grease, but I think it looks as good as it runs  :O) Re spring the forks and its a done deal  :O)

Think I did pretty good. Dont think I could have possibly done better dollar vs performance vs appearance vs fun  :O) Runs as good as it looks  :O)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:48:08 PM by supergenius »

Offline 89blaster89

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 04:48:42 AM »
sick bike, im from auburn

Offline supergenius

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Well lookie what I stumbled upon:

Needed to make a new upper bracket for the bike, but excitecd to see how she runs with this thing on it. Brand new. 100 bucks out the door, and they had a few more. If I like it Ill prob. go buy another one. The ol FMF Im thinking will be sold off. From what Ive read people love these things... See what kind of jetting changes if any it needs.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:54:48 PM by supergenius »

Offline supergenius

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
Hits good down low, and WAY harder through the mid.. Think its a bit thin on top... Going to Tahuya this weekend to do some plug chops and figure it out but it definitey pulls harder