Author Topic: Frame and Foam?  (Read 2653 times)

steeldust

Frame and Foam?
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:59:46 AM »
I was just wondering since you use expandble foam in the handle bars for reduced vibration does anybody think that filling the frame with the same foam might help on vibration?

Offline demographic

Re: Frame and Foam?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 06:21:15 AM »
Quote from: steeldust
I was just wondering since you use expandble foam in the handle bars for reduced vibration does anybody think that filling the frame with the same foam might help on vibration?

Never tried it mate, dunno :)

mikesmith

Frame and Foam?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 07:30:34 PM »
Im sure it would,but kind of overkill I think.Oversize bars,foam in the bars or weights on the ends,and Paul swears by aluminum bar mount cones,type of grips,shimming motor mounts that need it,keeping all bolts tight,running high temp silicone around the head pipe to cylinder joint,and balancing the crank all help reduce vibration.

Rowdy-Yates

Frame and Foam?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 01:08:49 AM »
If you must do something squirt some silicone caulking in there. Dont forget to make sure your steering head is not loose this is a major cause of headshake. Oh and check you headstay brackets.

mikesmith

Frame and Foam?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 09:40:13 PM »
It may seem so,but Ive filled my bars with expandable foam and it does work,try it.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Frame and Foam?
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »
Quote from: mikesmith
It may seem so,but Ive filled my bars with expandable foam and it does work,try it.

I'll second that!  8)

Rick

Frame and Foam?
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 10:19:49 AM »
I'm too cheap to buy a can of foam, so don't know if it works or not.  I have run vibration dampener bar ends that worked pretty good, but now just hang on and twist the throttle.

The more you ride the less you notice the vibration.  With the cool weather, we are riding about 200 miles each weekend.  What vibration???

Rick

kxmark

Frame and Foam?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
Been there, done that. Dampens vibration very noticably. Makes big K.X. feel linear and lessons fatigue. Remember, just a few very small holes are needed. Too many or too big of holes may compromise intragrity of frame. A little foam goes a long way. Just shoot foam into one hole and wait for it to come out the others. Wipe off excess as it comes out to avoid mess.