Author Topic: Fender brace  (Read 5851 times)

Motorrad

Fender brace
« on: March 03, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
Okay. I have a problem.     Im a little Limp....

On occasion... My bike will try to eat the rar license plate, and bracket..   I have cycled the suspension and have lots of clearance.   So its a fender flex issue.   I have busted 2 brackets thus far.

It seems to be flexing right behind the subframe mounts  (can take pictures if you wish)...    

Anyone have any nifty ideas for rear fender braces?

has to be somthing out there with all the fender tool bags and such in the aftermarket.

or a stock part off these kdx kxf whatever things that they hang 50LBS of tail light off the rear as a off the floor thing...

Id like somthing I can just buy and put on.    as I REALLY dont feel like making one...     Motivation is a rare comodity these days      
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:59:54 AM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Fender brace
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:02:38 AM »
Acerbis made these fender braces for the front a long while back.....don't know if they are still available and you'd have to make it work on the back.

I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:39 AM »

On occasion... My bike will try to eat the rar license plate, and bracket..   I have cycled the suspension and have lots of clearance.   So its a fender flex issue.   I have busted 2 brackets thus far.

It seems to be flexing right behind the subframe mounts  (can take pictures if you wish)...    

has to be somthing out there with all the fender tool bags and such in the aftermarket.

or a stock part off these kdx kxf whatever things that they hang 50LBS of tail light off the rear as a off the floor thing...

Id like somthing I can just buy and put on.    as I REALLY dont feel like making one...     Motivation is a rare comodity these days      

eh.....modify one of these little guys to hold it steady. :lol:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:30:38 AM »

eh.....modify one of these little guys to hold it steady. :lol:

NAACP may be knocking on my door if I put one of those in the Mill or lathe...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »
ha...good point....certain neighborhoods would probably be hazardous to your well being also,if seen cruising around with one. :?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:36 AM »
I'm offended......my grandfather died in the holocaust!! :lol:
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Wrong war.

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
Sooo back on subject..   :roll:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »

You're no fun..... :|

How about this black rear fender brace?

http://www.psep.biz/store/dirt_bike_fender_brace.htm

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »

Since you're running a 2000 rear like alot of us,that really limits your options as far as buying one that you'll be able to just bolt on...seeing how the 2000 fender has very limited material to work with,and was'nt designed to support a tail-light/plate assembly...more than likely,you're gonna have to get a little creative and either modify a store bought one,or make one from scratch.At least if you make one from scratch,you can make it look like it was meant to be there,and be more than strong enough.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
We had a similar problem with our KXs that have a smaller light assy for racing enduros. Fender would flop around alot when hitting a set of whoops. We used the nylon Acerbis brace and it worked well. We also went with the small and light Acerbis LED taillight assy.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »
That black acerbis rear fender brace is about the only practical thing I could find anywere....

Then again there is always the option of going back to the O.G fender for that "Team Green" look......

There isn't a whole lot out there that is as beefy as that original fender. :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »
Well.. every aftermarket option I could find... either

A.  wouldnt have provided enough support  (the acerbis plastic one).

or

B.  connected to the subframe in some way   (which I didnt want...  as I would like the fender to break in a crash, instead of bending a subframe...

C.  would catch the tire in some way (had perpindicular to tire parts)

D. most wernt easy transferable when I decide to put on new pretty plastics.

so..

Out came a Piece of 1/4" aluminum strap.     YES I SAID 1/4"

bent a curve into it.     a S-bend      and made it so when all mounted.   It put TENSION on the fender.

This worked otu good, as it slides in between my Licensepalte mount and the fender...      I have some double sided tape on it in that section for a wear buffer.  (so fenders dont rub on the alum)...

it isnt attached to the back part of the fender.. just the tension fit.   and runs about 3/4 length of the fender.

the countersunk stainless hardware is backed with  BIG stainless Fender washers..   that I bent before instalation.    to act as a spring washer (pull down flat when tightened).

nice part... if the tire rubs.     there is nothing to catch on this setup.

Is it crude... yes.   could I have done better. fancy ass part to do the same thing?   YES.     but it is going to be rocked and sanded by the back tire anyways.. so ...............

neeldess to say.    Im not LIMP anymore.  

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:18:14 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
Perfect,you won't find an aftermarket one stonger than that,with that simplicity to it...what did you put for time into it...30 mins or less?....I'm willing to bet it took you longer to think of the idea,than it did to complete it.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
Perfect,you won't find an aftermarket one stonger than that,with that simplicity to it...what did you put for time into it...30 mins or less?....I'm willing to bet it took you longer to think of the idea,than it did to complete it.

You really think that motorrad is done with this?!  He just got impatiant with it and wanted a fix NOW......give it time and this piece might evolve into an engineering marvel that rivals most NASA projects.  Motorrad might mean motorcycle in German, however on Daves planet it must mean "psycho".