Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 155896 times)

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:17 AM »
welding these pieces, I've been able to have s junk main case handy so I bolted the clutch case to it, do what you can to clamp it on something flat. If the cover has had a previous ding in it then it'll be twisted to start with.

Don't try to clamp the ring down to the work bench etc. The heat from the welding will distort the case. If you need to hold it to get it tacked on then do it with a c-clamp or something that won't follow the case like a visegrip etc or it'll keep compressing until the case cools down.

I bake the case on a hotplate until I can tap out the governor bearing, not so that the bearing turns blue. The case should sweat out what oil it has absorbed and be much cleaner welding.

Start near the governor area, its the thinnest so do it before it gets too hot to work with. move counter clockwise so you end up at the heaviest portion of the case last.

should go smooth.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2014, 02:59:05 AM »
Thanks for posting that info.
Mine turned out ok with not a lot of warpage but I made a steel ring to bolt it to.
I'll try your method next time and see how it works out.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline vagassasson

« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:36 AM »
Yeah it is kinda low on my to do list atm. I have to rebuild the crank in both my motors before anything else and right now I'm just waiting on rebuild kits

Offline Candyman

• I love hot zombie chicks
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
I need pictures   :cry:

welding these pieces, I've been able to have s junk main case handy so I bolted the clutch case to it, do what you can to clamp it on something flat. If the cover has had a previous ding in it then it'll be twisted to start with.

Don't try to clamp the ring down to the work bench etc. The heat from the welding will distort the case. If you need to hold it to get it tacked on then do it with a c-clamp or something that won't follow the case like a visegrip etc or it'll keep compressing until the case cools down.

I bake the case on a hotplate until I can tap out the governor bearing, not so that the bearing turns blue. The case should sweat out what oil it has absorbed and be much cleaner welding.

Start near the governor area, its the thinnest so do it before it gets too hot to work with. move counter clockwise so you end up at the heaviest portion of the case last.

should go smooth.

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
They're working out pretty well. We did 4 lastnight, changed the clamping procedure of things to zero.  :roll:
The welder said he was getting 60-65 amps in it to puddle the pieces, only added minimal filler rod. The case finished flat, I did warp a mounting ear by .040" or so on 2 of the covers but installed them on a case half, warmed them and tapped them down with the brass hammer and they're perfect.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2014, 07:22:57 AM »
Nice job!  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
Those look great!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline JBMiller1motorcycle

« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
So is anyone making these and selling them currently? I would really like to get one, would make tuning my auto clutch so much easier.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2015, 07:57:41 AM »
Contact Roost at roostius_maximus@live.com
He can make you one with a deeper basket area to fit your auto clutch  :-D

Offline alward25

« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
one is done, now to powdercoat the outer cover and send out for engraving.

"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
Sweet!

Offline chums

« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »
In case anyone has never seen the mythical Factory Kawasaki two piece clutch cover these are a couple pics I took of John Dowds factory Kx 500. You can see it was probably sand cast.

Anyone wanna make me a trick piece like that! Lol its pretty cool!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:24:49 AM by chums »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
never heard of Jeff Dowd...did you mean John Dowd?...
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline chums

« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
Yes. Was talking to Jeff Fredette right before on Ice tires, I'm getting old.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #359 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
Yes. Was talking to Jeff Fredette right before on Ice tires, I'm getting old.

eh...I was just bustin your balls more or less :-D...I knew who you were referring too.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ