Author Topic: At last I am getting started  (Read 1434 times)

Offline cbmoor

At last I am getting started
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:36 AM »
Ok its about time I added what I have been up to this last few weeks, in the last year I have got hold of an 1988 and 1989 kx5 and 1989 kx250 and 125 and the rebuild has started on the 3 off the bikes. I know this is the 500 section so I will talk about it here and post the the other 2 bikes in there right section.

The 125 and 250 engines have been stripped down completly and the empty cases have been sent away to a company to try this Aqua vapour blasting and hopefully will come back good as new looking. the 125 frame was in good shape and was already powder coated but the 89 250 and and 500 frame needed some work. Like before I streathened all the exhaust brackets and replaced both the brake peddle locating pins and the 250 frame also needed the foot rest bracket thats part of the frame welded up to add more metal as the original footpegs were too loose.

500 frame with the new brake pin installed and welded up.

250 frame same as 500 getting top exhaust mount strethened

Bracket finished

500 top exhaust finished

Lower front exhaust clamp strethened

250 footrest welded up and new brake lever pin installed, pin was made on lathe and old pin was cut off and new hole drilled and new pin inserted and welded at the back

Also this picture is off the 250 engine but you can see the removal off the lower bearing for the clutch arm. This is the same as the 500 as the arms are the same for both 89 250 engines and 89 onwards K5 engine. i remember a couple of weeks ago about a thread thats gone now how to remove this bearing.
this was my mates tool its a normal bearing removal tool but where you turn the locking nut to tighten in place its also threaded at the top so you can add an extension then attach sliding hammer and out it comes with out drilling any crank case or adding any thing that will set hard etc.

The 2 frames were sent away this morning for powder coating and I am away to work so no more work for a few weeks but when I get home hopefully parts will be home and a rebuild can start, I will post more when some progress is made.