Author Topic: Reed Cage  (Read 3439 times)

Rowdy-Yates

Reed Cage
« on: October 15, 2004, 04:52:30 PM »
Hey all I have a Question. I have a used bike I opened up the reed cage to put new reeds in. I discovered that the previous owner took out the reed stops. How important are these? Should I buy some? Does it affect the powerband? How long will my reeds last if I dont have these in? Any info will help.

mikesmith

Reed Cage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 06:51:39 AM »
They make the reeds last longer,not sure how much power your getting with out them (not much if any) but I put them in.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Reed Cage
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 03:27:49 PM »
I installed some FMF Torque Reeds and they supplied tension strips to install in the factory stops place. I have been running them now for 8 months so far so good.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Reed Cage
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 04:12:29 PM »
Certain reeds require reed stops to keep the tips from fluttering and then eventually breaking off.  Boysens and many other aftermarket reeds use a small strip to hold them on but no reed stop.  With steel reeds (not sure if anyone uses these anymore) the fluttering tips crumble and go through the engine (ouch$$).  R-Y I would suggest not putting in the stockers. Get some Boysen dual-stage for cheap or the V-force. Cam.

Rowdy-Yates

Reed Cage
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »
I guess i did not make myself clear. I have after market reeds that i was going to install. They are called Aktive reeds. But the installation instructions show the reed stops. Does the V-force have reed stops??? Nope just looked it up.

Rowdy-Yates

Re: Reed Cage
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Rowdy-Yates
Hey all I have a Question. I have a used bike I opened up the reed cage to put new reeds in. I discovered that the previous owner took out the reed stops. How important are these? Should I buy some? Does it affect the powerband? How long will my reeds last if I dont have these in? Any info will help.

I am still wondering about all of these questions?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Reed Cage
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 03:57:08 PM »
Quote from: KXcam22
Certain reeds require reed stops to keep the tips from fluttering and then eventually breaking off.  Boysens and many other aftermarket reeds use a small strip to hold them on but no reed stop.  With steel reeds (not sure if anyone uses these anymore) the fluttering tips crumble and go through the engine (ouch$$).  R-Y I would suggest not putting in the stockers. Get some Boysen dual-stage for cheap or the V-force. Cam.

This guy knows his stuff and pretty much answeres that.

Offline KXcam22

Reed Cage
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »
R-Y,
  I would suggest that if the Aktive reeds you have are thin with the 4 fingers (similar to the stockers) then you will need the stops to prevent them from fatiguing and eventually breaking.  If they are thicker like FMF or Boysen (usually have 2 double-wide fingers) you can do without the stops, although you need a retaining plate or washers so the mounting screws don't crack the reeds when you cinch them down (and have them fail that way). Absolutely make sure you use locktite on the screws. It still blows me away how long reeds last given how fast they flutter, 2X a rev or 200 times a second at 6000 RPM. Yikes. Hope this helps. Cam.