Author Topic: Clutch Kits  (Read 3171 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Clutch Kits
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:42:25 AM »
Monkeybutts offers a Barnett clutch kit for 87-04 KX500. The kit contains heavy duty kevlar friction plates and heavy duty drive plates with springs. What do ya'll think about the Barnett clutch kits? I know that steel plates are better than almun. but I don't know anything about the kevlar plates. Monkeybutts also offers a EBC clutch kit for 89-04 KX500. Do the 500's share a common cltch? One clutch kit fits 87-04 and the other fits 89-04. what up ?  :(  Thanks
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Clutch Kits
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:49:34 PM »
Hughes,
  Barnetts used to tbe the "top dog" in clutches.  I have had a few in other bikes and they were all quite good. No experience with the K5 yet. There's lots of kits around now. I'll be shopping for a clutch this winter and Barnett will be my first choice, based on my past experience. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Clutch Kits
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:55:07 PM »
What do you know about the kevlar plates? I am only know about almun. or steel. I just need a clutch that will last a long time and perform.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Clutch Kits
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:09:25 AM »
Hughes, I've been testing diffrent clutches in my 500 and 2 out of 3 I've tested have started slipping after a few months. 1 being the Moose Clutch from Dennis Kirk, and 2 being Tusk. I decided I'd give both a shot and have gotten most slip from the Moose. Anyway, I'm up to the EBC kit and that has the BEST feel and so far has not slipped yet. Hell, I've got a few kits laying around. ;-)

Offline KXcam22

Clutch Kits
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 05:40:32 AM »
Gabe,
  Do they really slip?? Wow.  My stocker hasn't yet and I always thought those kits would be better. I wonder if the steel plates have less friction (more polished after some use?) than the aluminum ones?  Keep me posted, I will need a clutch this winter. Thanks. Cam.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Clutch Kits
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 07:10:35 AM »
Cam, I'm extremely hard on my bike. But, I have noticed that the steel has made the clutch feel rough, but helps the friction ALOT. I tried the moose with 20% springs, no good. Cam, if you like, you are welcome to the Moose set as I have no need for it. It was used for a few months, but look brand new. Slips on me, but hear me out, I was using aluminum plates. I never tried it with the steel plates. But, tried 20% springs. Anyway, don't know the rate to canada, but I'd be more than happy to send them to you. The tusk fit well, but slipped almost instantly.

Woody223

Clutch Kits
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:16:47 PM »
I also use the EBC clutch kit. I've been running it for a little over a year and I have had no problems.

Woody223

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Clutch Kits
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:53:48 PM »
One kit offered is for 87-04 KX500's(Burnett) and the other kit is offered for 89-04 KX500's(EBC). This makes me think that from 87-04 share a common clutch but on the other hand there maybe some changes. Should I not be concerned with kevlar plates or should go all steel for long life. Thanks for all the info.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline demographic

Clutch Kits
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 01:05:35 PM »
The friction material is the bit that will be made from Kevlar but the drive plates are either alluminium or steel.

Years ago I read about a CR 500 set up for riding in the Rockies, one part that they regarded as a tunable component was the drive plates.

Using steel drive plates gave the bike a few ounces of rotating mass in the engine turning at about 1/3 engine speed so they used them in conjunction with a flywheel weight (which makes a bigger difference) to aid traction and stop excessive wheelspin.

They also said it cut down on contaminating the oil and that the drive plates last longer than aluminium ones also :)

Although to do this would lessen the "snappiness" of your power delivery, depends what kind of what kind of delivery you are after :)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Clutch Kits
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 02:04:20 PM »
Thanks. I will be using my 500 for hare scrambles so I think the steel plates will fine. When you say if I do this it will lessen the snappiness of the power delivery. Do you mean the extra mass of the steel plates along with a flywheel weight will smooth out my power delivery or does clutch plate material make a difference in clutch engagement and how crip or fast it respones. Thanks :roll:
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Clutch Kits
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 07:47:19 AM »
Not that I've ridden much this year or that I'm excessively hard on my bike..... but I put a Tusk kit in last winter and it hasn't slipped once.  The top end was done last winter as well and now it's a 520 with the typical clean up porting job.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline demographic

Clutch Kits
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
Quote from: hughes
Do you mean the extra mass of the steel plates along with a flywheel weight will smooth out my power delivery

Thats it :)

Thats how they described it anyway, it was in an early 90s motocross/Offroad bike mag and aparently the extra rotating mass of the steel as opposed to the aluminium drive plates act as a little flywheel weight, but as the clutch rotates at a slower speed than the flywheel each ounce makes less difference than it would if it were added to the flywheel.

Thats how they decscribed it any and it made sence in my befuddled brain :wink: