Author Topic: sprockets that hold up  (Read 3850 times)

Offline motovet

sprockets that hold up
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
I was wondering what people are using and what kind of time you are getting from them. I just installed a sunstar steel rear and renthal ultra light steel front with a renthal chain and after only one hour of ride time the rear is showing a fair amount of wear already. Is this just the norm with the 500 or do I need to be looking at other sprockets

Offline alward25

Re: sprockets that hold up
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Supersprox, been running it for 2 years, one on my 500 and one on my klx 450.  Still looks brand new, and for about $70, ya know.
"Let there be light"

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
+1
thats all I use as well still using one from my 06 bike.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
I'll be the 3rd to confirm the SuperSprox...when I got my new W9 wheel,it came with a really nice black aluminum,but the 500 rips through aluminums fairly quick.So I picked up a matching black steel SuperSprox,I don't have much more than 40hours on it,but there's hardly a mark on it.I'm running a steel Renthal up front,with no problems/complaints at all.

As for the Sunstar...I'm a little surprised you said it's already wearing.When I got my K5,it had a fairly used steel Sunstar on the rear,and I rode a whole season with it,and it never wore anymore than it was when I got it....and I mostly power shift,up and down...and I like to grope the clutch ALOT exiting corners or just pelting the poor unsuspecting punk with boulders too :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »
SS Ironman sprockets work well too. Used one on a CR500 for a couple years

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
More importantly than "which sprockets are the best" is "what chain is the best" IMO..  Ive learned over the years that sprockets wear out because of chain stretch. Chains stretch because you bought a cheap malaysian roller chain, or you bought a decent chain and your lazy on chain maintenance.  I've been running Regina ORN6 gold oring chains for the past 7 years and let me tell ya' they are hands down the toughest chain out there period. You can expect at least triple your sprocket life than what you were prior seeing. Bought my KX500 in '06, replaced the Chain and sprockets at the time i bought the bike, and STILL have them on currently, and only seeing a very slight amount of wear....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline motovet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
I was looking into the supersprox and I see that they have two styles, a black steel one for 40.00 and what looks like a two piece one for 70.00 ( guessing it is aluminum center with steel outer sprocket for weight savings). Are they both equally good for wear?
 As for the chain, I have had great luck with the renthal chains on my 250f and 450f so I just went with the strongest one they make. I did notice when I was checking the tensile strength of the different chains that D.I.D. was the strongest by far but I have never used them, good, bad or indifferent I don`t know.

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
I buy the $70 one
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
I got the black $40 to match my black wheel....unless you're looking to add a little "bling", for the 1 1/2-2lbs difference between the two,you'll never notice it on a 500.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:29:13 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ELRUKO

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
I had a Renthal chain break on me and it took out the clutch arm...  Since then I have been using the DID VM X ring.  It's just a little below their maximum chain for about $110.  Has that pressed master link, but you can change it out for a conventional one.  Using them on the Kx 500 and KX 450.  Good product.   The Supersprox counter sprocket seems to be good on my 450.  Not worth all the money for Renthals...

Offline jgturbo

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
I agree with polar-bus. The chain is more important than the sprocket. That said, Sidewinder makes a KILLER chain and sprocket system. I had a CR500 a while ago that I was having to adjust the chain tension on every week, so I bought the Sidewinder Ti series chain and sprocket set. I owned the bike for 4 years after that and NEVER had to adjust the chain. NOT ONCE. The whole system looked brand new when I sold the bike.

Their top of the line chain is rated to 16,000 lbs tensile, which is about twice as strong as almost all other chain. It isn't any bigger than a normal o-ring chain either. A testament to the quality materials they use I guess.

Their stuff is spendy though. But in this case you do get what you pay for.

Buy renthal and you get rubber band chain and pop can sprockets.  :-P

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
I got the black $40 to match my black wheel....unless you're looking to add a little "bling", for the 1 1/2-2lbs difference between the two,you'll never notice it on a 500.

Dude, is that barney bling hubs your running ?! Cmon you are killing me !  :d
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:44:19 AM »
Dude, is that barney bling hubs your running ?! Cmon you are killing me !  :d

You'll live :wink: