Author Topic: KX 500 AF in the Super Tight Single Track  (Read 12945 times)

Offline Charlie500

KX 500 AF in the Super Tight Single Track
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
I'm in the market for a new bike. I was looking at KTM 300xcw, Husaberge TE 300 or maybe a KX 500 AF.... Question is, how well these bikes compare. I will be ridding strictly tight single track woods ridding in Oregon and Washington...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: KX 500 AF in the Super Tight Single Track
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
Ya gott'a love the e- start on the KTM 300.  The Husaberge 300 doesn't have enough support, service/parts.  My K5 AF is a blast to ride, the fun indicator is in your right hand.

If I was in the market for a new bike I would buy a KTM 500 XC-W.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-xc-w-usa/highlights.html#.UOGYwKwzSiA

ADV thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773406
KX 500 Rider

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
As soon as I figure out my new Gopro Ill post a vid of my 500SF in the tight stuff. Stock, the 500 isnt too bad in the tigh stuff. I tamed mine down some by adding the optional thicker head gasket, 14oz fww, some Boyeson reeds, a FMF Gnarly and Q silencer combo. Im running 14/51 gearing. It is so easy to ride! Very smooth with bucket loads of bottom end. The power is somewhat muted compared to a stocker, its tailored for the conditions that I ride it in ( there are really no sand dunes or desert here in southern NJ) but for tight single track trail its great!
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
Ya gott'a love the e- start on the KTM 300.  The Husaberge 300 doesn't have enough support, service/parts.  My K5 AF is a blast to ride, the fun indicator is in your right hand.

If I was in the market for a new bike I would buy a KTM 500 XC-W.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-xc-w-usa/highlights.html#.UOGYwKwzSiA

ADV thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773406

That 500xcw does not look like a good bike for tight woods ridding....
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
Tight Single track?
Here's a sleeper:

:evil:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
Laugh Out Loud sandblaster....thats funny..... I had to sell my 1990 500 and my 06 500 af project I was working on to get into our new house.... Now I'm in the market for a new bike. We just moved up to oregon and the terrain up here is very tight single track ridding....I'm looking at a new bike, the service kawasaki's are not that much more than the ktm's so I figured what the heck... What kind of mileage can you get out of those af bikes? How big is the over sized tanks for those things?
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
Oh, what part of Oregon did you move too?
I live up by Eugene,
I do ride single track as well but I spend way more time on the coast or the eastern desert.
I won't be able to tell you anything on the AF's till I get mine done  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Oh, what part of Oregon did you move too?
I live up by Eugene,
I do ride single track as well but I spend way more time on the coast or the eastern desert.
I won't be able to tell you anything on the AF's till I get mine done  :-D

Just moved to grants pass. Haven't been ridding at all up here yet, except for around some blm near my property on my wifes ttr125... The local dealerships and RiderPlanet as a lot of good things to say about the ridding areas around here.... I would love to get my hands on that service kx on ebay right now.... I'm just still not sure... the ktm and bergs look pretty darn nice.... There is a really nice husaberg shop up by you I plan to visit when I get home. (I work in Abu Dhabi) I will be home on the 10th
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
I grew up not far from pass grass  :-)
We lived about 25 miles out of Eagle Point totally surrounded by BLM.
I could take off on my bike and ride for a lot of miles in just about in direction, no fences, no houses, no Sheriff patrols doing sound checks.
It's been about 35 years since I lived there so I'm sure it's been mostly fenced off and shut down by now.
It was sure good riding back then.
In fact, the AF would have dominated in that terrain as it was a lot of open riding and very fast.
On a bike choice it's really rider choice.
I love my kx500 but not for single track.
Then again my bike is not set up for it and it could be made a lot better.
When I get my AF built I plan on setting it up for single track so we'll see what happens.
I'd be a little leery of the Berg.
They are great bikes but have always been spotty for service and support in our area.
But hey, if you really like it and you go in with eyes wide open, the Berg would be fun...

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »
Cool man, we live off Riverbanks dr... off Marcy Loop. Theres a lot of blm around my house.... I can ride right out my drive way. When I get a bike, we'll have to hit up the mountains.
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 03:54:58 AM »
KTM own's Husaberg now & the motors are all shared, So the 300 berg is a kTM. The 2012 berg has a bigger tank than than the 13 & the 13's have a "plastic composite"  :roll: subframe. Might be super durable but I wouldnt wanna be the guinea pig 

Here's a smokin deal I cant do anything about, although if anybody wants to buy my kidney I'll sell it for $5959 

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23476599&cat=&lpid=&search=husaberg
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »
Tight Single track?
Here's a sleeper:

HOLY HELL!!!  That model KLR 650 came with a 6.1 gallon tank stock which when full equals 42 lbs of fuel in your crotch.......I wonder how much fuel that tank in the picture holds.... :-o
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
Tight Single track?
Here's a sleeper:

HOLY HELL!!!  That model KLR 650 came with a 6.1 gallon tank stock which when full equals 42 lbs of fuel in your crotch.......I wonder how much fuel that tank in the picture holds.... :-o

The baggage carriers have been precisely designed to accept cinder blocks as ballast. As fuel is used remove the appropiate number of cinder blocks to maintain proper stability and center of gravity. For you aviation types this is called weight and balance. There is a Lowes or Home Depot about every 100 miles or so in the U.S. now and many other vendors where cinder blocks can be obtained so that ballast replenishment after refills is no longer a problem.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline E ticket rider

• Born to lose, live to win
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »
I bet itll float across a river with that tank!   but not the cinder blocks!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night , Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
Yes, it will be a touch on the heavy side but the super secret stealth KTM front end conversion will make it feel light and flickable  :lol: