Author Topic: KIPS tuning 87 k 500  (Read 1678 times)

Offline nirvanafan98

KIPS tuning 87 k 500
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
Read all the post on the fine tuning KIPS . WOULD THIS MAKE MY 87 K 5 START easier ? How do I get one of these bolts from Stewart ? Farily new to this Forum . Thanks
My choices are my voice. Was a little boy who dreamed of becoming Bob Hannah .

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: KIPS tuning 87 k 500
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
The Kips bolt mod was'nt aimed at making it start easier...it'll be just the oppisite,but not by much.It was aimed at getting a little more low-end grunt.
If you do a "search" for the thread "KIPS BOLT MOD",you will find exactly what you need to machine one yourself....but I'm not sure if the 87 K5 ever needed/benifited from this mod.
I made one myself by buying a new OEM KIPS plug...center punching the middle,then drill a 1/4-20 hole just deep enough so not to go all the way through...then took a 1/4-20 bolt and dabbed on some Yamabond and drove it in.Let the yamabond set for a few hours,then took it to the bench grinder and ground a little at a time off...keeping an eye on when the valves were just closed by looking up in the exhaust port.So far there's about a seasons worth of riding on it,and no issues.

I'm sure some of the members have some different methods that will work just fine as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:05:09 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ