Author Topic: '09 500AF build  (Read 192213 times)

Offline Larry Wiechman

Re: '09 500AF build
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »

looks like i'll be the first to try this out! should be interesting.

What type of an electrical system do you have?

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »
I tried one of these out yesterday .....works well!!!You could use a capacitor to run it

Offline jBernard

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »
@Larry
hey sorry, i still need to give you a call about mounting this on the head, will try and call you this afternoon!

i don't know what my electrical system is looking like at this point. Plan is to go EFI, and I'm trying not to run a battery, or at least a heavy one. So i guess my choices are either a charging capacitor like the crf's and yamaha wrf's use but not liking the idea of kicking over several times just to charge it. so maybe a small lithium battery it is.
BUT...for now, i was planning on triggering the solenoid with just a 9V source, and an Arduino platform, which is just a microprocessor i have some experience with. Reason i'll be using the arduino is for some other sensors on the bike, IAT, MAF, coolant temps, crank position, ect. so having a switch tied into that circuit would be easy.

@ylwgtr, where'd you mount yours at? the solenoid is a bit larger than it seems in the pictures, so i'm trying to think about the best place to mount it right now.

'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »
how much room you got around the rear?This is where I put it

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:35:36 AM by ylwgtr »

Offline jBernard

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
badass!!! i know the harleys vent the bypass right into the exhaust valve outlet. would be pretty cool to do that somehow, but really nowhere to put it to pull that off.
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
im just running a hose on it down beside the intake (with a wire holder like on the left side of the reed cage for the CDI wire) then down through the metal band the overflow tubes run in behind the engine and out under the bottom

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
just had a look....you could route it into the front right hand side of the kips chamber on the cylinder....the side valve is open at starting time so it would dump it straight into the exhaust pipe :) not sure of any side effect of blow back whilst running though,maybe crap building up in the pipe?...id need to have a bit more of a  think about it
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:27:14 PM by ylwgtr »

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »
I whipped this up in a few minutes today....I'm thinking there is enough material on the cylinder to drill/tap and I will prob put it in the mill and take a drop in with a large end mill .3 of a mm to make a sealing area for a copper washer...what do you guys reckon?
Anyone see an issue apart from having to clean the tube/decomp valve when servicing the powervalves??

Offline ylwgtr

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
Ps....sorry for cluttering up your thread... :-(

Offline jBernard

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
NICE! thats a rad idea! definitely going to go something along this route now.
no worries on the post in here, thats whats helping us all out in the builds!
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline jBernard

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:47 PM »
Finally have some stuff to update. Been dealing with some unfortunate events at home  :| so bike got put on hold.

-Going to send frame out to heat treating tomorrow hopefully.

-Took apart tranny and got all gears and pieces REM treated. Insanely smooth now!

-Crankworks has my crank and is balancing it right now. Hopefully back at the front of next week.

-Engine cases are back from vapor blasting and they look AMAZING. Like brand new.
If anyone wants them done right, and no glass or sand pitted in their metal check out this guy:
http://www.vaporblasting.biz/
Pretty cheap too. I think mine was 30$ per case half.

Pinsonnault windowed weisco piston. Thermal coated via SwainTech
New Wossner kx5 rod

KX5 cases looking brand new!

Check out this CNC magnesium linkage, coated with Kephos coating (harder than hard ano and just as thin. Hopefully bearings press in without much effort. haven't checked the clearance yet!

- Next steps are I'm finishing up finding some nice SKF Explorer bearings for all the case bearings. This is taking a bit of work but will be worth it. Then when crank comes back i can start assembling engine.

- Clutch side cover is at 3D scanning place right now. Designing a Magnesium side cover with removable clutch cover and water pump and governor delete. This should be super trick.

- All races and collars in the Mg Linkage is being made out of Ti. Going to be a huge weight savings compared to stock stuff. Cant wait to get it on a scale and see how much is lost in complete linkage when I have it all back.

Thanks for reading. I'm getting a lot of stuff done on it now, so hopefully another update next week

Taylor

'14 KTM 300SX

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
Wow!
You are going all out.
I love the vapor blasting...
May be it's time to invest in one  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
that linkage looks sweeeeeet!...can it be done in various colors?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jBernard

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
thanks guys. all out is only way i know how to go. bank account is crying right now  :evil:

Foxx, if it were Aluminum could choose from tons of different colors of ano, or hardcoat could go with silver, black, grey or greenish hue.

but with Mg there are only several non-decorative coatings that hold up.
all the Dow coatings are olive drab, greenish gold color.
Kephos is only black
theres a coating that Honda uses on their HRC 4 stroke ignition covers and its an off white, i tried to track down this process and they are so commercial you cant find any way to do small one offs like mine.
'14 KTM 300SX